Getting back in shape for bicycling

Options
I used to ride a lot but after 2 extensive leg surgeries haven't for a couple of years. My goal this year to start riding again and do some fun bike trips like the peddler jam. I am 64 years old and work out at the gym 3 times a week. I do the treadmill for 30, the strength training machines for 45 and the bike for 15. What machines will work the best to strengthen my leg muscles. I know from the past that each ride will get easier and easier and can't wait til Spring.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Build up the amount you ride the bike.

Climb stairs whenever possible.

Walk up hills on the days you don't go to the gym.

Start cycling outside as soon as possible.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    They have a stair step at the gym, Planet fitness. I have been avoiding it since I have a tricky knee but I will give it a shot. I love riding for fun, most of our rides are only 20 some miles and I take frequent breaks because I bring my camera and always find something to shoot. At my age I just want to ride for fun. On the days I don't go to the gym I work 12 hour shifts, but all on level. I always hated hills, have to get over that since I live in a hilly city. Thanks for your help.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If you main goal is to cycle why are you doing 30 minutes on the treadmill and only half that time on the bike?
    To get better at cycling - cycle more. Build up progressively.

Low rep leg strength exercises on machines don't really translate to cycling power (mainly cardio fitness and strength endurance) - are you doing them to rehab after your surgery? Strong quads in particular have a big bearing on knee stability.

Proper cleated cycling shoes make a huge difference when you have bad knees (I'm missing a couple of important pieces from one knee and the other one isn't great).
    Also please, please, please adjust your seat properly, I see so many people riding with their seat far too low and having either too much flexion in their knees or splaying their knees.
  • megamom
    Options
    Partly to rehab after my surgeries and partly because the bikes I like, not the recliner ones are always in use when I first get there. I guess I thought stretching out of the treadmill would build up my strength as long as I alternate inclines. I will start with the bike next time in stead of end with it when I am done in. Great advice, thanks. I do know the importance of seat adjustment, you can feel in it your knees right away when it isn't right. I see people doing that also and always want to correct them, my husband is always going up to people on the trails and adjusting their seats, he says if they don't hurt they will enjoy it more and he is right.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nice of your hubby to help others in this way!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    megamom wrote: »
    They have a stair step at the gym, Planet fitness. I have been avoiding it since I have a tricky knee but I will give it a shot. I love riding for fun, most of our rides are only 20 some miles and I take frequent breaks because I bring my camera and always find something to shoot. At my age I just want to ride for fun. On the days I don't go to the gym I work 12 hour shifts, but all on level. I always hated hills, have to get over that since I live in a hilly city. Thanks for your help.

I meant real stairs ... up and down. Going down will work your calves in a way that a stair stepper won't.

Take your time with them so that you don't twist your knee.

• baznap
    baznap Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, im also a cyclist (Mostly Mountain bike) and i'm also coming back from injury. Snapped Achilles tendon. Im 41 and recovering is one thing, getting back to fitness is another, I have seen almost complete muscle wastage in my left calf from it been immobilised. As a consequence my lower body has suffered.
    I do the following:-
    Daily
    Squats - As many as possible
    Paused squats (lower to squat and stay there for a minute)
    stair climbing - just as much as possible
    calf raises - single and double - as much as possible
    hopping - both legs as much as possible

At the gym
    Spinning x 45 mins x 2 per week (do a class with music it will motivate and is structured)
    Machine work on legs (Leg curls etc) 45 mins x 2 per week

Baz
  • megamom
    Options
    That seated leg curl just kills me yet. My legs are so wimpy. I like working out of the machines because I have lost enough weight I am trying to tone up some major sagging. I don't get much opportunity to take stairs but I to going to and coming from work, once I get to work I am stuck in my unit until we leave. I am a leisure cyclist, not a hard core cyclist like my husband, I just want to get back to our 20 miles rides or do a longer one if we do a peddler jam. I enjoy riding, it so quiet out on the paths and I like going how fast this old fat lady can go on her own 2 legs. I am going to the gym today and will start with 30 on the bike. I sure miss our old ECHELON training bikes at our old gym, I like having a visual course to ride.