Looking for Advice and Help [Desperate and Frustrated!]

Options
Hello,

Don't be fooled by my profile. While this may be my first post, I have been on myfitnesspal for years. I actually just switched and made a new account to start a new journey.

Before I can ask for help, I need to explain my situation a little. I will try to be as brief as possible.

I'm 24 years old, 5'7" and about 164 lb. I use to be 135 lb. I teach in NYC and I love weight lifting and cables, kettlebells, swimming, and dancing.

In 2010, I began looking into dieting and weight loss. I had never been able to achieve any results, but this time I was determined. Unfortunately, I did so by eating less than 1400 calories a day and exercising every single calorie off (and then some!). Yes, I dropped about 25 lbs in a little over 5 months. Clearly though, that isn't the way. When I took a moment to reanalysis everything, I realized things needed to change, so in late 2011, I began to lift, eating about 1800 calories a day, and adding some cardio in here and there. I went up in weight, but when down in size. I was pretty close to having a flat stomach for the first time in my life, and it even was starting to have signs of muscles.

In the summer of 2012, when I had successfully achieved a LIFESTYLE (and I mean that sincerely) of eating clean and reasonable, while working out, I finished graduate school and got a job. I became a 5th grade teacher in NYC. It was exciting, but the most stressful year of my life. The first 3 months I barely ate, and then, I ate a ton - gaining every pound back (and then some!).

Now, I am 164 lb and I'm frustrated.

So here is where the questions come in.

In June, I began seeing a personal trainer 3x a week for an hour. I lift weights and do a variety of things (cables, fitness ball, kettlebells, boxing, free weights, squat rack, etc...). Also, I would do cardio 2-3x a week as well.

I started gaining more weight. And at first I was like, hey this happened last time, no biggie. It might be muscle. But it didn't stop. I learned from my first year of weight loss to not rely TOO much on the scale because it can EAT YOUR LIFE AWAY. I rely mostly on measurements and inches. But nothing has gone down. I've maybe lost half an inch.

I've been eating clean, lots of protein, but not too much, I've lowered my carbs and fats. I've made a defecit in my calories as well. My trainer says its my diet but isn't telling me what is in my diet that's causing this. I've made adjustments as my trainer recommended. I brought my carbs down to less than 150 g a day. I brought my protein levels up a bit. I'm now eating 1500 a day (which feels low to me, but what do I know -) and still - nothing.

I want to get back to feeling comfortable in my skin. I use to be a size 4 last year and I'm an 8 now. I'm looking for any advice at all. I was hoping by April (when I'm getting married) to have lost a little weight. I mean, of course I have a goal, but I understand everyone loses at different rates and whatnot. I am just so frustrated and I was hoping that someone could help me out.

I will say this, I know that low calorie eating is NOT my thing because I got so sick from that. Please keep that advice to yourself.

Thank you so much to those who can help!!!!!!!

Replies

• Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ya
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary and in the passed 2 weeks I see incomplete days and entirely blank days. My advice is stick with your cal goals and log accurately for a month every day. You should see results this system works if you let it!

Good luck OP!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1072335-desperate-look-for-advice-help

Re-read some of the suggestions in the post you created in another section.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you have not had a physical this year, I highly recommend that you get one, get your thyroid checked and your hormones, specifically your cortisol level. (especially if you are in the middle of planning a wedding, stress triggers your adrenal gland in making cortisol)

There are medical reasons for not losing weight that are real.

A womans hormones being out of whack is very common and is the reason they can not lose weight. Many people think it is only thyroid, but it is not.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.