Am I even Human?

So what's weird is that I lifted for about 2 years now. Possibly a bit more. I started out pretty heavy and about 30% bf according to machines
Now I'm lighter and lower bodyfat. For the past months I've been trying to bulk on an intermittent fasting protocol and I'm pretty sure my body weight is increasing and my physique I think MIGHT be maintaining or slightly improving but somehow the weights I am lifting during my workouts have stalled or DECLINED. For example my bench press and my overhead press declined significantly more than what it used to be...
Am I just weird or infected?
Seriously I'm actually concerned because I wanted to get stronger and put on muscle size

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    How much you lift?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Have you done a deload cycle at all yet? You may have accumulated fatigue that is hiding fitness progress.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Could be overtraining, that not only exists but is pretty common with newbies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Have you done a deload cycle at all yet? You may have accumulated fatigue that is hiding fitness progress.

Never unless you call vacation a deload. I try to burn calories to be considered "active "...a deload I feel makes you fall under the sedentary lifestyle tdee factor

The what now?

Which lifting program are you using?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2019

Never unless you call vacation a deload. I try to burn calories to be considered "active "...a deload I feel makes you fall under the sedentary lifestyle tdee factor

That comment in relation to the "weird or infected" question in your OP definitely leans towards the weird part!
    Deload doesn't mean being inactive.

Are you training during the fasting part of your day?
    That may be an issue, some people train well fasted, some don't and need to have eaten recently to train at their best, some take an extended period of time to adapt to fasted training.

• thelostbreed02
    thelostbreed02 Posts: 87 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

That comment in relation to the "weird or infected" question in your OP definitely leans towards the weird part!
    Deload doesn't mean being inactive.

Are you training during the fasting part of your day?
    That may be an issue, some people train well fasted, some don't and need to have eaten recently to train at their best, some take an extended period of time to adapt to fasted training.

I fast and when I get home I eat and walk to the gym about 10 minutes after which takes prob 20 minutes
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Are you using a proven, progressive lifting program?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019
    So what's weird is that I lifted for about 2 years now. Possibly a bit more. I started out pretty heavy and about 30% bf according to machines
    Now I'm lighter and lower bodyfat. For the past months I've been trying to bulk on an intermittent fasting protocol and I'm pretty sure my body weight is increasing and my physique I think MIGHT be maintaining or slightly improving but somehow the weights I am lifting during my workouts have stalled or DECLINED. For example my bench press and my overhead press declined significantly more than what it used to be...
    Seriously I'm actually concerned because I wanted to get stronger and put on muscle size

20 mins in the gym?? 'might be' and 'pretty sure' actually says you are not sure.

What do you do in the gym exactly? What has your weight done in the past 4 weeks?

Following a structured lifting program? How often do you recover/rest in between your work outs?
    What does your protein intake look like in your diet?

Could this eating schedule you are doing through IF be impacting your performance?

Bulking efficiently is the end goal, also need to gauge what your weight is doing too.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Another thing to consider: You're coming down with a virus of some kind.
  • thelostbreed02

The what now?

Which lifting program are you using?

PPL so 6 workouts a week
  • thelostbreed02
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure my body weight is increasing e

You are literally telling us you don't even know if your bodyweight is increasing or not, which tells us you are absolutely NOT tracking your bodyweight/nutrition. Logic then tells me your tracking of any sort of workout is also sorely lacking, meaning...there's a 99+% chance you're not following an established, progressive lifting program (you've also made it painfully obvious you don't know what a deload is, so after your claimed TWO YEARS of lifting, you probably should do a little research). You have a LOT of stuff you need to get squared-away here.

As a side note...if you are concerned with some sort of "infection" then you prolly need to see your medical professional.

The infection part was a joke
  • thelostbreed02
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

20 mins in the gym?? 'might be' and 'pretty sure' actually says you are not sure.

What do you do in the gym exactly? What has your weight done in the past 4 weeks?

Following a structured lifting program? How often do you recover/rest in between your work outs?

Could this eating schedule you are doing through IF be impacting your performance?

Bulking efficiently is the end goal, also need to gauge what your weight is doing too.

1.5 hours 6 days a week pishpulllegs
  • thelostbreed02

IF could be hurting me I think but I'm paranoid of LOTS of fat gain and hunger pangs when I start eating breakfast
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2019

IF could be hurting me I think but I'm paranoid of LOTS of fat gain and hunger pangs when I start eating breakfast

I wonder if your program is the right program for you, this ideally is for intermediate and advanced trainers and you have almost no recovery days built in.

I'd honestly look at recomp instead of bulking as well. Lots of apprehension regarding fat gain, and wonder what body fat % you started your bulk at.

So at this point I am unclear exactly what you are looking for.

Reassess your training and program, recovery and your calorie intake. If the way you eat doesn't work, change it. Taking recovery/rest days is essential to the process, so take more recovery days. Utilize deloading, its a good strategy to use.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited January 2019
    I feel your pain. I cut about 15 lbs last year and all my lifts went down, or stagnated (intermediate, 49 year old, 2 day per week lifter). I've been reading on Barbell Medicine, watching youtube videos by Mike Israetel and Alan Thrall and got a few big takeaways: 1. Up volume 2. Lower intensity 3. Measure both "smarter" via RPE estimates.

Hope this helps... recognize you'll probably need to research these topics like I did. Admittedly, this hasn't helped me yet as I'm just off my cut for 4 weeks and am nursing a slight injury (purposefully not squatting or deadlifting at high intensity).
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    watching youtube videos by Mike Israetel .

Mike Israetel is AWESOME. Cannot recommend his stuff enough. If you don't have a subscription to RP+ I promise you it's $10 well spent!