Oh My!

Options
Haven't had an omlet for awhile so thought this morning would be a good time. 2 eggs, little bit of bisquik, ham, onion, cheese, mushroom, Then of course I needed 2 slices of toast with butter and jam. There went most of my calories for the day. Now I feel like I totally overate. I did log but feel miserable for such a heavy (though used to be normal) meal. 475 cal left for the rest of the day.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Haven't had an omlet for awhile so thought this morning would be a good time. 2 eggs, little bit of bisquik, ham, onion, cheese, mushroom, Then of course I needed 2 slices of toast with butter and jam. There went most of my calories for the day. Now I feel like I totally overate. I did log but feel miserable for such a heavy (though used to be normal) meal. 475 cal left for the rest of the day.

What is your total calorie budget for the day?

I'm going to take a wild guess. 1200 (AKA, too low)

ETA: Scoped the diary, 1280.

Ouch, and checking her diary, none of that stuff is weighed out. So it was probably even more than 800 calories in reality.

But given that 1200 is more than likely too little, that isn't necessarily such a bad thing.

True...
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Bisquick in an omelet?? Why?

I'm curious too. I've never heard of doing this before.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I am pretty sure we've all done this at one point. Make somethign we think will be innocent but realize only after eating and logging that it was a lot more calories than expected. I know i've been there.

I"d make today a maintenance day (and all my meals are under 460cals unless i am planning a particularly large one! so that is still a good dinner to me). and in the future pre-log meals especially those you have no clue what they will end up doing (haven't logged those items before).

But yes, as you listed those items I knew what was coming from past experience ;) Brunch REALLY adds up unless one is super careful (or decides to save up calories and go a bit more splurgy)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Unless you are extremely short and sedentary, your calorie goal is probably unnecessarily low:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    +1 to log it, eat a normal healthy meal later, and chalk it up as a learning experience. In the big picture, it's no big deal.

Now you know. ;)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Makes them very fluffy. Only need about a tbls for a 2 egg omlet
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the biggest problems were the juice and jam. Make it one slice of bread instead of two, leave out the juice and jam, and you'd have room for a light lunch or snack.

And as others have said OP, double check that your settings aren't too aggressive. If you have less than 75 lbs to lose, 2 lbs per week is not realistic and for many 1.5 lbs isn't either. If you're set to sedentary, double check the settings and make sure you really are sedentary. And if you do exercise, remember you are supposed to log that, and eat back at least some of those calories.

Regardless, lesson learned - we've all been there. :drinker:
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    You can “earn” more calories to eat by exercising. Also, you can “borrow” calories from another day and do a weekly average instead of daily calorie counts. One meal won’t matter in the grand scheme of things, weight loss will be the sum of what you do over many months/years, you have to be committed for the long haul.
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

This is the secrete ingredient in my quiche and omelettes

Here's another weird but AWESOME trick to make pancakes taste amazing...try using 3/4 parts milk and 1/4 parts lemonade when mixing the batter!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I found that interesting too. It's not something I grew up with.

For what it's worth, omelets are one of my most common breakfasts. As an example of one, 2 eggs (abt 140 cal), 0.5 oz of feta (or about 14 g) (abt 38 cal), 2 or 3 different vegetables (50 cal). Either a spray of oil or I use 1 tsp (so another 40 cal). So about 250 cal (give or take, depending on what I use, amounts). I actually like bigger breakfasts, so usually have some fruit or greek yogurt or cottage cheese on the side, or maybe some smoked salmon.

You can experiment and figure out how to do it with less calories. My bet is that you've been denying yourself a big breakfast you used to love, so in your head you had to have everything. If the pleasure is the big breakfast without worrying about the calories (but tracking them, of course), nothing wrong with that on occasion if you adjust the rest of the day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i had an omelette for dinner last night and it came in at 576 cals. probably less cause the sprinkle of green onion and green peppers i tossed in it wasn't 50 calories worth LOL