Pressed Cottage Cheese?

Okay, so I'm weird, I know this. Does anyone else press their cottage cheese to remove (most of) the whey? I don't DIS-like cottage cheese normally, but man, the curds by themselves are just so much richer and absolutely delicious.

Anyone have any idea what this does to the macros?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    The brand I buy is pretty dry so that's never even been an issue for me. It's one of the reasons I like it.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Well.... what brand would that be?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Well.... what brand would that be?

Yes, I would like to know as well. Curds are amazing.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    If you purchase pot cheese (no, not cannabis cheese), it is literally cottage cheese with the whey removed. It may be hard to find in grocery stores but if you have an instant pot, there are recipes online to make your own.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I haven't found any dry / pressed cottage cheese in stores around here.

We've made it from scratch before, but there's still the work of squeezing the whey out of the cheese anyway, so this speeds up the process (since I don't have to measure/boil/stir/check temp/etc.) at least a little bit.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    The only cottage cheese I have found in my local grocery chains is definitely not dry. Daisy or Breaks tone is definitely better than the store brand, but that's about it. What I do when packing lunches or eating it at home is weigh out my portion, then drain the excess liquid, without taking too long or pressing it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I love cottage cheese but am picky about it, and one of my picky things is that I prefer it looser and with more whey and with curds that maintain their shape, so my answer is no, absolutely not.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i actually sometimes whip my cottage cheese when i'm not feeling the curd
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Yeah, not a fan of the whey either. I'd never heard of the pressed dry stuff before this thread and it sounds right up my alley. Yay!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    You could just set the cottage cheese over a fine strainer lined with a paper towel or cheese cloth in the fridge overnight to remove the whey (what I use to do with regular yogurt before Greek yogurt gained popularity/became readily available - amazing how much light yellow fluid - water/lactose content there is, roughly halves the volume). Would remove some milk sugars/lactose & protein (not much lactose in cottage cheese to begin with though...)

Driest/least runny cottage cheese I've tried would have to be Deans; Friendship is somewhat on the drier side (seems a bit variable package to package though). Large curd tends to have less whey & is easier to strain obviously
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    What KetoVampire said about Friendship. That's the brand I eat, though I do tend to luck out and mostly get drier packages.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    I found Friendship cottage cheese at Publix today! It was 1% but I figured I would try it.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    edited February 2019
    I store the container upside down, and the whey is more evenly distributed when It gets flipped over and I open it for a portion.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I've also found dry curd cottage cheese in the grocery with the others. The pressed cottage cheese above, I found in Walmart.