Can resistance training help build facial muscles?

Options
I started a resistance training program recently. I am 28 and have started to notice my nasolabial folds getting deeper-- does exercise help build facial muscles too? I know there are facial exercises but I was never sure how committed I would be to such a program.

Replies

• thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a joke at first!
  • hestavi
    hestavi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a joke at first!

Why?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight?

You can lose weight in your face, which will make folds/wrinkles more prominent or noticeable.
  • hestavi
    hestavi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight?

You can lose weight in your face, which will make folds/wrinkles more prominent or noticeable.

I haven't reached my goal weight yet. What do you do to prevent the wrinkles from being noticeable?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    hestavi wrote: »
    Have you lost weight?

I haven't reached my goal weight yet. What do you do to prevent the wrinkles from being noticeable?

Botox.

It's common to lose weight from your face as you lose weight. Weight loss comes from all over. So if you're already in a healthy range, evaluate whether you actually need to go lower, or if you can recomp and get the form that you want.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mzyxfleq0qi2.jpg

(Kidding! Don't do this expecting it to help anything other than making you look ridiculous.)
  • frankzee1
    frankzee1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight?

just wear a cheery colorful hat. It will draw attention away from the lines on your face.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but if that were possible, Botox wouldn't be a thing.
  • Boomshakalaka01
    Boomshakalaka01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think staying well hydrated helps fend off some rough-around-the-edges face aging. Not a ton, but a little.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight?

Have good genetics.

Giggity. :smiley:

And....my folds are still there and thanks to my wonderful genetics almost full silver/grey at 50. Didn't win the genetic lottery for sure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    It's mostly genetics (or botox and friends), but give it some time. A new routine causes changes that may not be the long-term result. I've noticed people who are very active lose some body fat over time (maybe while staying close to the same weight) or tighten up here and there; the skin adaptation may just be on a slower track. At 28, age should still be on your side.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You get lines on your face from facial movement, just the same as the lines that are in your palms, thus to lessen the line you have to stop movement, so people inject Botox to " freeze" the face.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Genetics, sunscreen, adequate hydration, lower body fat.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Having very low bodyfat & dehydration can make the face look more defined, "chiseled", angular, lines more visible, arguable aged, etc...bro-science term in bodybuilding known as "death face".

Like others have mentioned, hydration, sunscreen, & daily moisturizer helps

In ENTs, there are speech pathologists who can help with exercises/various lifestyle habits (i.e. chewing, public speaking, posture, etc.) that can have interesting effects/outcomes of long periods of time (very interesting topic)

Interesting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFkcLMmSJI