Sugar - Let's talk about it

Options
My daily sugar intake, some days more and some less. I don't really pay attention to it. I love sugar, whether from an orange or from a piece of chocolate. So I was reading this:
https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/sugar-facts-scientific#3

And it's hard to not recall seeing a good deal of discussion about sugar addictions/cutting out "junk" foods with sugar etc, but I still eat it, enjoy it and am still slowly losing weight. I liked this paragraph.
You don’t need to cut added sugar out of your life completely. Different health organizations have different recommendations for the amount of sugar you should limit yourself per day. But they all agree that there’s room for some sugar in a healthy diet.

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines say that an adult eating 2,000 calories per day should have less than 12.5 teaspoons, or 50 grams, of added sugar daily. (That’s roughly the amount in a 16-ounce cola.) But the American Heart Association says women should have less than 6 teaspoons (25 grams), and men should have less than 9 teaspoons (36 grams) per day.

Ultimately, your body doesn’t need sugar. So having less is better, says Fear. That doesn’t mean that you can’t have any at all, though. It’s all about — you guessed it — moderation.

There are links to guidelines etc within the article, but after reading through the whole thing I think I'm going to keep doing and eating what I'm doing and eating.

Should this even be a discussion? :o

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Nope. ;)

Did I step in it? :s
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Nope. ;)

Nope. You asked if it should even be a discussion. I answered "nope."
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I will not even read the article. Can you lose weight on a high added sugar diet? Yes.. will it be fun?.... for me, not really. Added sugars can add up quickly because they are generally found in calorie dense sources, not because sugar in its self make you gain weight. Extra cals do that. Most carbs in fruits and vegetables are sugars.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I will not even read the article. Can you lose weight on a high added sugar diet? Yes.. will it be fun?.... for me, not really. Added sugars can add up quickly because they are generally found in calorie dense sources, not because sugar in its self make you gain weight. Extra cals do that. Most carbs in fruits and vegetables are sugars.
    Agreed. She (author) states that. I guess the whole thing is interesting to me because any mention of weight loss around almost anyone I know brings comments of missing sugar, or that has too much fat, both things I enjoy.

To me, limiting calories makes perfect sense (and is working) where I have known so many people who limit (or try to) certain aspects like fat and sugars, yet ultimately aren't successful, even if they did initially lose some weight.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Nope. ;)

Nope. You asked if it should even be a discussion. I answered "nope."

Gotcha :)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    When I cut down on sugars my muscles don’t burn when rolling

That's an odd correlation.

My muscles don't "burn" when rolling (I assume you mean foam rolling).

I'm curious about this.
  • Competeballpythons
    Competeballpythons Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I am not worried about it. The only added sugar I eat on a daily is 1/2 tbsp of honey in my tea. On the occasions where I eat something sugary like ice cream or chocolate, I dont think it is doing me any harm.

I think the problem is people who drink soda and tons of sugary drinks in large volume on the daily....I do think that can be inflammatory to the body and unhealthy. But, natural sugar in fruit and dairy isnt and I will continue to eat it.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu

Interesting. It's been a long time since I've done that type of rolling, and I wasn't tracking foods then. I don't remember muscle "burn" but that could be my memory.
  • Competeballpythons
    Options

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu

Interesting. It's been a long time since I've done that type of rolling, and I wasn't tracking foods then. I don't remember muscle "burn" but that could be my memory.

You never rolled and felt totally drained?
    Rolling halfway through an 8 minute round not know how you’ll make it the entire round??
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu

Rolling halfway through an 8 minute round not know how you’ll make it the entire round??

Judo, not jujitsu. And I had youth on my side. Drained, maybe? Muscle burn, no.
  • Competeballpythons
    Options

I'm curious about this.

Not foam rolling
    Rolling jiujitsu

Judo, not jujitsu. And I had youth on my side. Drained, maybe? Muscle burn, no.

Jiujitsu is a different animal
    When my diet is good, my stamina is great. When it’s not good with the sweets, my muscles feel like they’re on fire.