Replies

• amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    So much great advice in this post! I wish you much success in reaching and maintaining your goal weight.

I had so much emotion tied in to eating (sad eat, happy eat, upset eat, etc.), that I had to learn to drop the excuses for why I ate too much and just become accountable for whatever I consume. 200 to lose, and a little over halfway there.

+1 great job!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Wow i remember reading this when i started last August (joined a month later). Year later and still inspired by the suggestion posts here.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are some awesome tips and people in this thread! :flowerforyou: One of the only things i can add would be switch the high calorie coffee drinks and pepsi's for tea and water. Also, loosing weight is just like doing anything in life that you want to do but don't "want" to do. Want nice teeth? You have to brush/floss/regularly go to the dentist. Want a good job? You have to make the sacrifice and go back to school. Want to be healthy? You have to learn portion control/eat healthier options/exercise ect.

Keep killing it everyday everyone! :drinker:
  • mythopoeic
    mythopoeic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Figure out the bare minimum that's required to lose 2 pounds per week for you.
    Work up a sweat every day when working out.
    If you run or use a treadmill, if you can work up to 45 min. at 5 mph, you will greatly enhance your metabolism.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    An old thread - bump for others who have not read.
  • hthr1969
    hthr1969 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I found healthy recipes for things I already liked to eat such as pizza and Mexican food. I also stocked up on fresh, frozen and canned vegetables. When I am still hungry that's what I eat. Tell myself every day that I am stronger than I think I am!
  • Mamahick12
    Mamahick12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nlevesque11887
    nlevesque11887 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Understand that the changes you make must be permanent to succeed. I've lost 194 pounds as of today. It's taken about 16 months to do it but the changes I've made are life-long. I still want to lose another 50 lbs but I know I'll get there. My only goal is to lose the next 1 pound on the scale. My long term goal is to be healthier.

I eat out 4 - 5 nights a week. I didn't want to give that up so I made sure to find a way to incorporate that into my new lifestyle. I'll order chicken cacciatore but instead of having it with pasta, I have it served over broccoli or other veggies. I'll split the meal in half and bring it home for lunch the next day. I'll split a baked potato with my hubby rather than eat the whole potato. I'll have a french onion soup appetizer, but I eat only half of it or just take a couple of bites of my husband's soup. I'll have a Philly steak sub but I have it served on a plate minus the sub roll. Small changes go a long way. Just make better choices and don't fool yourself.

When I first started, I hated to exercise. I had to start very slowly and although I would get discouraged, I kept at it, at my own pace. I would walk, walk, walk. Baby steps but I kept increasing it as I felt I could. Even on days that I said "nope, not walking today," the guilt got to me and it was easier to just get up and walk than to suffer the guilt lol. Now I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day and I'm going to start adding strength training to try to tone up a bit. And, I'm in my mid-50's so it's not like I'm a spring chicken lol.

Understand that others can walk with you on this journey but ultimately, YOU have to want it and YOU have to do the work. There are no short cuts, no magic bullets and no secrets to losing weight and maintaining the weight loss. A healthy diet, basic exercise and smaller portions (other wise known as CICO) are the real key.

Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!!

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    1) Exercise - first, most important - much more important than what you eat.
    2) SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW and steady wins the race. Plan on 1 lb per week/2 yrs to lose 100 lbs.
    3) Log/know what you are putting into your body. When I started logging again, recently, I was pleasantly surprised at how close to being in goal I was BEFORE I made any changes
    4) more protein, less processed carbohydrates.
    5) lots of liquids - stay hydrated - it helps everything
    6) NOTHING is forbidden. This is you making changes to your life. If you are eating in such a way that you feel you have to "Go off of it" when you are "done" then you are doomed to fail. While you can't eat a cinnabon every day - you CAN have one if you save up the calories on a day when you exercise - a lot.
    7) Exercise...yeah, it bears repeating.

Good Luck. 367 sucked. I like 244 a lot better. I will like 150 better still.

**My exercise secret? I have a tablet loaded with books. I read on the elliptical machine - and hardly notice the time passing as my legs chug away.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym, start lifting now. Don't think you need to wait until you drop XX pounds or hit XX body fat. It makes an enormous difference. And water--lots.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!