Lifting Heavy - How to Get Started

Options
2»

Replies

• snivvy
    snivvy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm your height and just a few lbs heavier and I started "lifting heavy" a fortnight ago.

I just figured out through trial and error. This is what I'm doing at the moment (on a 20kg bar, dpon't know whetehr you include the bar or not when writing it down);

Squat- 10kg each end for first set then up to 15kg each end (finding the position on shoulders more restrictive than the weight)
    Deadlift- 12.5kg each end
    Bench- 10kg each end

When you put some weights on your bar it may feel fairly light but stick with it and focus on keeping your form good because what feels light at first is actually quite a challenge at 5 sets of 8 reps. And remember the weight of the bar too so don't feel too downhearted if you've not loaded much weight on.

Also, simple question but could someone tell me, when you write how much you've lifted, is it convention to include the bar in that weight? e.g. My squat above would be 50kg, right?
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with planet fitness. I lost all my weight there and put on a good bit of muscle. It blows my mind that people don't think you can get a lot done with what they have.

With that said....its stupid they forbid deadlifting and squats and do not have larger dumb bells.

It just depends on your goals. Glad to hear it worked for you, that's an impressive number in your ticker. I'm working towards a 1200 total - 500 lb deadlift, 400 lb squat and 300 lb bench press.

Most will never accomplish that and planet fitness is most certainly suitable for beginners and even many people that have been lifting.

Great work and very impressive numbers. Keep it up, hoss.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I'm your height and just a few lbs heavier and I started "lifting heavy" a fortnight ago.

I just figured out through trial and error. This is what I'm doing at the moment (on a 20kg bar, dpon't know whetehr you include the bar or not when writing it down);

Squat- 10kg each end for first set then up to 15kg each end (finding the position on shoulders more restrictive than the weight)
    Deadlift- 12.5kg each end
    Bench- 10kg each end

When you put some weights on your bar it may feel fairly light but stick with it and focus on keeping your form good because what feels light at first is actually quite a challenge at 5 sets of 8 reps. And remember the weight of the bar too so don't feel too downhearted if you've not loaded much weight on.

Also, simple question but could someone tell me, when you write how much you've lifted, is it convention to include the bar in that weight? e.g. My squat above would be 50kg, right?

Thanks for the tips! As for your question, I'm no expert, but my ex used to lift a lot and I believe he DID include the bar weight. But I could be wrong.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yes, you include the bar weight.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Keep It Simple Stupid....KISS!
  • ishkabob
    ishkabob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'd likely be attending Planet Fitness. I can't afford my own membership, but I can go for free as long as I go with a friend who has a membership. I'm mentioning Planet Fitness because their weights only go up to ~80 pounds and there is no deadlifting option.

Sorry to hear that you'll be stuck in one of these awful places. When I was traveling for work and forced to use Planet Fitness. I just pulled a bar to the floor and deadlifted anyway. As long as you don't drop the bar every rep, I don't see why it would matter.

I'd echo any recommendations to buy Starting Strength and do what it says. ;)