Lower back injury

I held plank longer then my body could tolerate and strained my lower back. I really don’t want to stop exercising and am wondering if anyone has experience working around a back injury. The only think I can think of is swimming. (I see a doctor again tomorrow Planning on asking them too.)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    You should wait until tomorrow when you see you doctor.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    It was likely due to your pelvis being tilted or back being arched. I dont know the severity of your injury, so I'd say just see what the doctor recommends. I dont want to give advice that would injure your further.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Be careful not to cause more injury to yourself. I am suffering from a bulging disc in my lower back causing all kinds of pain, going to PT now for it and doing some special stretching exercises. All I can really do outside of that is walk slowly in 10 minute intervals before the pain becomes too much. Play it safe and see what the doctor recommends, take it slow. Hope you feel better soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Another vote for waiting to see what your doctor says, but if you absolutely must get in some sort of exercise today, my vote is for walking. I feel my lower back when I swim.

Ask your doctor about foam rolling - my lower back loves it, but it may not be for everyone.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    I suffered from a low back injury brought on when my sciatic nerve went out and I could not straighten up. My L2-L4 were all messed up. It was extremely painful, and it lasted for around 2.5-3 years. I went to the chiropractor for a long time. I was on pain medicine. I did physical therapy. I was starting to worry I'd end up in a wheelchair in 5 years.

I did find relief and live mostly pain-free now. But back injuries are nothing to scoff at. Reduce the exercise. Stretch. Move around a bit, as you can tolerate, but do not move quickly or suddenly. And go to your doctor. It may take longer than you expect to be in a safe condition again.