What will my dad think? (Maybe going vegetarian?)

Options
Hi everyone!

So, my English class is having a 20-day challenge where you do something you typically wouldn't and then write a thesis paper about it. I picked eating a vegetarian diet. I'd always been curious about eating that way and thought it might be a nice reset after the holidays, as well as a way to watch my weight with a heavy class load.

What I've found is that I really like eating this way. The food's delicious, I'm sleeping better, I'm not having issues sticking to my calories, I'm able to focus and deal with stress better, and I have more energy. Plus, most of the restaurants I go to already have vegetarian options so I can still go out when I want to. It's been a nearly effortless change for me and I feel great.

The problem is, I currently live with my dad, who has been pretty supportive about the challenge but is pretty clear that he doesn't understand the appeal. I'm worried that he would be upset by my choosing this as my permanent lifestyle. I'm also worried that he won't eat anything but Manwich and bologna now that I'm not fixing his meals.

I guess I'd just like some advice, really.

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt be worried about what he will think. At the end of the day its your choice what you eat and no one should really get upset about it.
    He might not understand the appeal, but that doesnt matter, he just has to understand that its what you want to do and thats that!

Have you told him all the benefits youve mentioned above?

Just dont make it sound like youre trying to push him into it too.
  • Pierre_is_a_cat
    Pierre_is_a_cat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi LenGray!

I wanted to first say congratulations on trying vegetarianism — I’m not surprised you feel great eating this way! It’s a wonderful way to eat for your body, the planet, and animals.

Do you usually fix your dad’s meals? What do you think about preparing him some vegetarian meals? Doesn’t have to be every night! Maybe some nights he can have his bologna and a manwich, and other nights you could make him some of your vegetarian food?

There are really awesome veggie recipes which meat eaters enjoy! My boyfriend is a meat eater, I’m vegan, and I often make us vegan food. If you want some ideas for meals to try for your dad, let me know.

Good luck, lovely.

PIAC
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    he's a grown up, he can surely feed himself?

if you cook, then you need to have a conversation about whether you're willing to cook meat for him - but seeing as you haven't become vegetarian for ethical reasons, i don't see why you wouldn't? so why does anything need to change?
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    He doesn't have to understand the appeal. But he should accept that you find it appealing, even though it doesn't to him. Humans are all different with varying preferences, right?

Just tell him straight-up that you'd like to keep on being vegetarian, but you know that it complicates dinners. What does he think about that? Would he willing to try some vegetarian recipes? What if you made vegetarian for yourself (spaghetti with sauce, salad, chili) and he added meat afterward for himself? That would keep the grocery shopping pretty simple.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    If you are old enough to be on this site then you are old enough to make your own decisions about what you eat. It doesn't matter if he likes it or not, what matters is what works for you. I understand being worried about a parent's health, but it isn't your responsibility. All you can do is offer advice and encouragement, but at the end of the day he is responsible for himself.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, so it's not really important what he thinks about what you eat. Also, if you worry about him not eating right if you don't fix his meals, you can still continue to help fix his meals. My husband eats carbs that I can't eat as a diabetic, and I refuse to cook food I'm not able to eat, but I make him most of the same food I eat and then he adds what he wants. Your father can easily add a piece of meat to your meals. You can make this easier by cooking say, a pork loin or a roast chicken once a week, but it's also easy to pop slices of meat into a stir fry at the end, or grill a steak or burger quickly.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. After I posted, I sat down and really thought about whether I would even want to go back to my previous way of eating. The fact is, whether I'm doing it for ethical reasons or health reasons, this diet is working for me. It fits me (one of the main responses from friends/family has been, "I figured you would eventually." Most are just surprised I'm not going vegan)

I'll have a talk with him and see what his thoughts are, but I think my mind is made up. I don't see him trying vegetarian meals (for a while, anyway) but I'll try to think of some meals that I can make and he can add meat to. I'd really love to hear about some more vegan-centric recipes, if you'd like to share them, @Pierre_is_a_cat. And if anyone else has some advice for making this transition easier on the both of us, I'd be glad to hear it :)
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We'll all do things at some point that upsets our parents so we may as well do things that we want to do - unless it's harmful of course. My family don't understand how anyone can not eat meat, it absolutely baffles them. My brother constantly insults me for being veggie. My mother & brother have both tried talking me out of it a million times. I've asked them to respect my choice & they refuse to. They wouldn't even try veggie alternatives, saying it's disgusting without trying.

It's your life & your body.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can Check out the MFP recipe forum for vegetarian recipes.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cookie and Kate is currently my favorite vegetarian blog and she has also authored a great book. She recently posted her 29 most popular recipes here. https://cookieandkate.com/2019/29-best-vegetarian-recipes/

As far as your challenge with your Dad's diet, if you are preparing tasty meals he will likely enjoy them as well. Vegetarian meals often have a bad rap because most people experience vegetables in a very bland and uninteresting manner. Once he realizes vegetarian meals can actually taste good then you can follow that up with some of the very real health reasons for him to consider readjusting his diet to a less meat-oriented one.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Decided to delete my rather long post. :)