Keto Strength Training Runners

Options
jessimia
jessimia Posts: 130 Member
edited January 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hello there! I’m Jessica and I recently started Keto at the end of October. Took a three week detour on vacation in December but been back on it since then. I’ve lost 10 lbs and a ton of inches especially in my abs😃 I’m currently on an ambitious workout regimen (for me) of running/elliptical 30 miles per week (mostly running though with elliptical for cool down at the end), and four 1 hour strength training sessions per week (5 sets of 12-20 reps plus push ups and ab roller). My joints feel fabulous on the Keto eating plan👍👍👍

I have given myself a challenge to push through this routine for a total of 38 days. So far so good! I have 22 days to go😬 I’m looking for any Keto strength training runners out there to add me as a friend because I’m fairly new to this forum and would love extra support at this time, and to give encouragement and support!!!🙌🙌🙌So please add me 😃😃😃!!!!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I no longer strength train, but am now focusing solely on running. I eat carnivore, which is a form of keto. Feel free to friend me if you would like.

Something to consider: It takes about 8-12 weeks to become fully fat adapted. It sounds like you are not planning to give your body a chance to fully transition before returning to eating carbs. Why?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I no longer strength train, but am now focusing solely on running. I eat carnivore, which is a form of keto. Feel free to friend me if you would like.

Something to consider: It takes about 8-12 weeks to become fully fat adapted. It sounds like you are not planning to give your body a chance to fully transition before returning to eating carbs. Why?

I don't mean to derail the thread, but is there a reason that as a runner you don't strength train at all?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I don't mean to derail the thread, but is there a reason that as a runner you don't strength train at all?

I did last year and it didn't seem to help. This year, I'm sticking to running. I'll still hike, backpack, etc. - but for recreation and not as a part of a training plan. I figure I will get more improvements in running by sticking to running. This is something I decided after reading Jason Koop's book: Training Essentials for Ultrarunning: How to Train Smarter, Race Faster, and Maximize Your Ultramarathon Performance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I did last year and it didn't seem to help. This year, I'm sticking to running. I'll still hike, backpack, etc. - but for recreation and not as a part of a training plan. I figure I will get more improvements in running by sticking to running. This is something I decided after reading Jason Koop's book: Training Essentials for Ultrarunning: How to Train Smarter, Race Faster, and Maximize Your Ultramarathon Performance.

interesting, thanks.
  • jessimia
    jessimia Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I don’t plan to return to eating carbs. This is a lifestyle change for me. After years of trial and error, I’ve come to realize that my body functions on a higher level without them.

I also notice little to no inflammation on Keto which in the past before was a real battle for me. Gluten sensitivities run in my family, and I’m pretty sure I am also gluten sensitive although never been tested.

Overall my goal is to attain optimal health, which for me translates to pain free, high energy, and a high fitness level/capabilities. I also want to tone and lean out because it feels good to be the healthiest I can be.