Confused about calorie level that MFP sets

Options
Hi all! I’ve been logging my foods as best as I can, just how I’ve been eating (I’m just starting on here) and it’s coming up to about 2100/day. I’ve been maintaining my (too heavy) weight for a while now. But to lose 1/2 lb a week, MFP has me at 1570 ... my understanding is that a 3500 per week (about 500 per day) calorie deficit is ideal to lose 1 lb per week. So why does my calorie goal seem so low? That is, comparatively. I don’t plan on continuing to eat so much, but it’s discouraging/confusing when I’m in the red but still less than I’d normally eat and MFP says I will gain ... I’m confused ...

Replies

• Polydactylkat
    Polydactylkat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that was helpful. So essentially I’m not quite as sedentary as the ‘sedentary’ mfp setting accounts for?

I raised my calorie goal a bit, if I can get down as low as it recommends I will eventually, but I don’t want to start so much lower than I’m used to because I don’t want to get discouraged. It’s a mental thing ;)

I would just log whatever activity it is that is burning those ‘extra’ calories, but I think it’s just me moving around during the day and not a specific activity or exercise.

Thanks again!!