Is Breakfast Really Good for You? What the Research Says ...

Options
13»

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    One major flaw in the article is we're saying two different things:

"good for you" vs "help you lose weight"

Not everyone has a weight problem. There's a lot of other "good" you can do for your health apart from weight control. Those in the diabetic category are also told to have smaller meals more often, to avoid spikes and dips in blood sugar. They cannot sleep a whole night, then skip breakfast, and eat a whole heap of food at midday. Personally I've had breakfast every day for almost 53 years, and can't imagine it otherwise. And it's not just about cereal companies advertising breakfast, because breakfast can be a lot of other things.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    Me personally - yes breakfast is important

Not particular for weight reasons but just general life.

I always have a small breakfast before work, as I get quite nauseaus and faint feeling by mid morning if I dont

I was like this, too, until I started intermittent fasting. I think it was mental for me. Now I feel more alert and less sluggish until lunch! But everyone is different!

Well, that is good for you.

I have no intention of starting IF since what I am doing is working perfectly well already.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for weight loss if......

You are the type of person that is likely to overeat if you don't have it.

My guess is that the only reasons any studies come back saying that breakfast is most important with weight loss are doing so because more of the population are likely to overeat by skipping it rather than overeat by eating it. I say this because any study I have read shows that the only relevance meal timing has for weight loss is to do with satiety.

Excellent point.

Breakfast has zero impact on my satiety, but I don't think everyone is like me, and studies suggest otherwise.

I spent many years not eating breakfast and being less hungry when I delayed eating (not an IF protocol, just how I was). Now I like breakfast but a couple days a week don't eat it (for scheduling convenience) and just eat a bigger lunch and dinner.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do adult people really worry and force themselves to eat at the start of their day because of a study when they don't want to? Eat if you want to. Don't eat if you don't want to. If you have energy and are functioning well without breakfast then don't worry about it.

In my house we have breakfast eaters and non-breakfast eaters. As far as I can tell it has not made anyone more healthy or unhealthy and is a preference. In the past I was a non-breakfast eater because I was not hungry early in the day. I switched to eating a small breakfast because I started getting hungry with a change in activity or something. Nothing dramatic happened to my weight or health. I do think I benefit from eating around the same times every day instead of eating at 11 AM one day and 8 AM the next and 1 PM another day. I wonder if part of the supposed benefit for breakfast eaters is more a tendency to having a routine