Hello Everyone.

Options
So I've been in a weight rut for the past 10 years, with the only changing factor being my age. I"m overweight, fluctuating between 246 and 251 lbs. Last week was my yearly physical, and aside from my weight being in the same range, the bloodwork results were a wake up call. Cholesterol and A1c hemoglobin were both just over the threshold to the point where doc wants me on a statin drug, and I'm pre-diabetic. At 62, if I want to ski, stay healthy and mobile, I have to make changes, and now is the time to be serious about it, because it is serious. I have another checkin with the doc in 2 months. Starting this week with a goal of a minimum weight loss of 2 lbs/week.

Replies

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Good reasons to focus on weight and fitness. I am older than you (74), but decided to really commit to a lifestyle change because I want to continue to do what I love and stay off of prescribed medications (currently on none, but was starting to get close to needing cholesterol meds). I am so glad I made that commitment 6 months ago. I am down nearly 50 pounds and feel better than I have for a long, long time. Additionally, I have not had an Advil or Aleve in over 5 months.

Take the time to find what works for you, and that you can sustain forever, and then just focus on consistency. You can do this!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is pretty aggressive. If you feel you can't eat that little, don't hesitate to change your goal to 1lb a week. Nothing wrong with that.