Stalling!?

Options
Okay I'm sure you've all heard this story or something similar before. I started resistance training a couple of years ago and had great results. I fell off the wagon for about a year and made the decision that I'd start back up again. I've been resistance training 3x a week with a pull/push/ legs regime as I did before I stopped training. It's been 25 days and I haven't seen any changes.

I know we shouldn't all get hung up on the scale but I enjoy seeing that little change for a bit of a boost. My lifts in the gym have gone up over those three weeks, especially the compound lifts. I don't measure my waist or anything I know it's a way to track progress too though. I track everything I eat and make sure it's exactly the same as the nutrition information on the packets. I watch my sodium intake and drink plenty of water. I also started using creatine monohydrate about a week ago ( I was told that weight gain is a myth with creatine ) My clothes feel a little looser but not anything drastic or anything to be ecstatic about.

What could I be doing wrong? My diary is open if anyone wants to have a look or has an idea of where I'm going wrong. It's just very frustrating getting up 3x a week so early to walk about a mile to the gym do my training and walk a mile back. It's the only days I can go as I work dayshifts and nightshifts. Someone did mention it could be fat loss and muscle gain but from what I know or have heard you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you're new to lifting weights. Even if that was true why am I not feeling like I've made brilliant progress. I've seen some people show progress pics and they have had dramatic changes in three weeks! I weigh 146lbs if that's any help.

TIA for anyone that can help :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal and how did you get it?

When you say you "track" everything you eat, are you using a food scale?
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1600 calories I got this based on my TDEE and subtracting 500 calories from it, and yes I weigh everything I eat with a food scale :) I don't complete my diary at the end of the day to show on here but I do track everything I eat and weigh it
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Most all the food weights in your diary are round numbers, 200 g, 100 g, etc. How is that happening?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    How tall are you? How old? How much do you currently weigh and how much are you trying to lose?
  • Samm471
    Options
    Most all the food weights in your diary are round numbers, 200 g, 100 g, etc. How is that happening?

It's just what I plug in when weighing things to get it as close as I can to my macro goals, so when I plan my meals ahead of time for the next day there as close as possible.

I'm 5ft 2 I'm 30 years old and I weigh 146lbs and I'm trying to get down to 133lbs
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

It's just what I plug in when weighing things to get it as close as I can to my macro goals, so when I plan my meals ahead of time for the next day there as close as possible.

I'm 5ft 2 I'm 30 years old and I weigh 146lbs and I'm trying to get down to 133lbs

Are you logging what you're actually eating or does this represent what you plan on eating?
  • quiksylver296
    Options

So, is that the weight you are actually eating is my question? For example, my chicken breasts are random weights, 167 grams for one, 221 grams for the next, etc.
  • Samm471
    edited January 2019
    Options

So, is that the weight you are actually eating is my question? For example, my chicken breasts are random weights, 167 grams for one, 221 grams for the next, etc.

Yes like for example if I'm having sweetcorn I would weigh exactly say 60grams or if I'm having chicken and it's say 105 grams I will cut a small piece off or sometimes my chicken can be 98 grams and I just say 100grams I guessed that would be okay because it's actually under in weight rather than way over. I track and weigh everything as close as possible and it's normally right on the button.

• quiksylver296
    edited January 2019
    Options

Yes like for example if I'm having sweetcorn I would weigh exactly say 60grams or if I'm having chicken and it's say 105 grams I will cut a small piece off or sometimes my chicken can be 98 grams and I just say 100grams I guessed that would be okay because it's actually under in weight rather than way over

Ok. Just checking. It's fine, just unusual.

And confirming you log condiments, ketchup, mayo, marinades, etc, cooking oils used and all drinks including wine/beer/etc? There's nothing passing your lips that isn't being logged?

Also, you haven't answered - how tall are you? How old? How much weight do you want to lose?
  • Samm471
    Options

Are you logging what you're actually eating or does this represent what you plan on eating?

Yes so if I plan my meals tonight I make sure that tomorrow before it's eaten I weigh it on the food scale and make sure it's correct as in the same as what's on the packet
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I missed the creatine. Some people can gain on creatine, I'm not sure who told you it was a myth. So, if you've lost 3 pounds (totally random number) in 25 days, it could be masked by the new creatine use.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Yes I track my sauces etc. I don't drink alcohol and I only drink water. I'm 5ft 2 I'm 30 years old and weigh 146lbs I'd like to get down to 133lbs
  • Samm471
    Options
    I missed the creatine. Some people can gain on creatine, I'm not sure who told you it was a myth. So, if you've lost 3 pounds (totally random number) in 25 days, it could be masked by the new creatine use.

Okay it was just a few people had said you won't gain any weight. One person did say I may gain weight but it's normally when you cycle creatine. If your taking it that you may see a weight gain in the first week but it shouldn't be a lasting thing for like months and months it should level out. I haven't gotten that far with it yet lol

• Samm471
    Options

I did think if I gained weight with creatine it wouldn't be like a noticeable thing as the water is stored in the muscles so muscles look fuller

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I did think if I gained weight with creatine it wouldn't be like a noticeable thing as the water is stored in the muscles so muscles look fuller

Any water retention will show on the scale. So, you certainly may see the scale go up, or at least not go down, due to water from creatine.
  • Samm471
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Any water retention will show on the scale. So, you certainly may see the scale go up, or at least not go down, due to water from creatine.

Okay thank you. If I'm still in same situation say In 2 weeks time I'm guessing something has to change for example add some cardio into my training or cut maybe another 100 calories from my intake each day?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    You could drop the creatine for a week or two, as an experiment, and see what happens. Or you could keep trucking with the creatine (you're only 5 days into using it, right?) and see what happens.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    And with 13 pounds to lose, it's gonna be a slow go. Put on your patient pants.

Another thought - I hold onto water weight during ovulation and my period. I don't know how that falls for you, but something to keep in mind.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Okay thank you. If I'm still in same situation say In 2 weeks time I'm guessing something has to change for example add some cardio into my training or cut maybe another 100 calories from my intake each day?

Are you eating exercise calories back?

Sorry for the million questions, but it's necessary to help trouble shoot.
  • Samm471
    Options
    And with 13 pounds to lose, it's gonna be a slow go. Put on your patient pants.

Another thought - I hold onto water weight during ovulation and my period. I don't know how that falls for you, but something to keep in mind.

Okay I will keep trying with the creatine and see how it goes. Yes I do retain water during my period I know it's due within the next week roughly. I will definetley keep my patience pants on lol! 😁 I don't eat my exercise calories back because I never know how many calories exactly I'm burning. I do wear a Fitbit but I don't know how many times I've heard from others including personal trainers that the calories burned on you're Fitbit is not accurate. I mainly use it for steps in work as my job is very active