Favorite running races? USA

Options
What’s everyone’s favorite race? I’m looking mostly at 5ks and half marathons right now but want to see what’s out there! Id love to travel and find some awesome experiences! Is it the scenery? A great charity? Cool swag is a bonus! Would love to hear about everyone’s favorites 😊!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    RnR half in Las Vegas was a phenomenally fun experience. I will be doing it again for sure. It’s my favorite thus far by a landslide.

There’s a 5k too (the day before) but the half is up and down the Vegas strip.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Rock ‘n’ Roll races are hideously expensive, but they are a lot of fun. Vegas is a good one, indeed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Boston Marathon is really something special.
  • amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started primarily doing 5k's. Have done 2 half marathons and have registered for 2 more. I look for scenery potential but primarily due to cost savings, I look at the charity it goes to. Otherwise, I'd be spending a fortunte
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RnR half in Las Vegas was a phenomenally fun experience. I will be doing it again for sure. It’s my favorite thus far by a landslide.

There’s a 5k too (the day before) but the half is up and down the Vegas strip.

That's on my bucket list :drinker:
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The Baltimorr half marathon has been my all time favorite lately.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So far my favorite experience has been a small race in Arkansas, the Left Bank Festival 5k. What was fun about it was how it was tucked back into a space under the highway that I didn't even realize was down there although I have lived nearby almost all my life, and they had a catfish cookoff and the participants judged and voted on the best catfish. Live music and just a real good time had by all, on the shores of the mighty Mississippi. We registered for it at the last minute because we weren't doing much else and ended up having such a great time that we signed up for a half marathon in the same location, the Big River crossing, which was also fun mainly because the support groups which came out from local high schools were so enthusiastic - the cast of the Wiz had decorated part of the road with yellow bricks, and was singing "Ease on Down the Road," as people went by, and there was a marching band and a gospel choir.

The big races I've been in were not as fun for me personally because with so many folks, it's all about crowd management, waiting in security lines, and trying to get through traffic. So I will definitely stay on the lookout for those smaller races put on by a fun group of people. My recommendation is to look at the upcoming races list for places you might want to travel to, and see what they have to offer!

As far as bling, I'm looking forward to the Millington Navy base Nautical 10 miler which has a giant anchor as a medal. The RnR races also have great bling.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    So far my favorite experience has been a small race in Arkansas, the Left Bank Festival 5k. What was fun about it was how it was tucked back into a space under the highway that I didn't even realize was down there although I have lived nearby almost all my life, and they had a catfish cookoff and the participants judged and voted on the best catfish. Live music and just a real good time had by all, on the shores of the mighty Mississippi. We registered for it at the last minute because we weren't doing much else and ended up having such a great time that we signed up for a half marathon in the same location, the Big River crossing, which was also fun mainly because the support groups which came out from local high schools were so enthusiastic - the cast of the Wiz had decorated part of the road with yellow bricks, and was singing "Ease on Down the Road," as people went by, and there was a marching band and a gospel choir.

The big races I've been in were not as fun for me personally because with so many folks, it's all about crowd management, waiting in security lines, and trying to get through traffic. So I will definitely stay on the lookout for those smaller races put on by a fun group of people. My recommendation is to look at the upcoming races list for places you might want to travel to, and see what they have to offer!

As far as bling, I'm looking forward to the Millington Navy base Nautical 10 miler which has a giant anchor as a medal. The RnR races also have great bling.

Ooh those all sound so cool!!!!
  • thinbybday
    thinbybday Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like obscure local races with funny names.