Does anyone else feel guilty when eating out?

Options
13»

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    you are very welcome -- and achieving maintenance for three years is amazing. I'm still trying to figure it out completely for myself. I focus now on nutrition and trying to going more organic with my food. I do eat out fast food now and then.. and like the OP.. I feel guilty because it is something the old me would have done. I just know better now and would consider that a slip....and no crystal ball needed.. :) peace out.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Double cheeseburgers from Burger King are one of my favorite things on the planet and I eat them all the time. I refuse to feel guilt from eating. Its disordered behavior and that's a big nope from me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To my critics.. just try giving up fast food and see if you reach your weight loss or maintenance goals more easily. I predict.. you will.

I ate fast food maybe once every 3-4 months when I was morbidly obese. I eat it more often now that I'm a lot thinner because it's easy to log, maybe once every 2-6 weeks. It has actually made weight loss easier for me when I'm too lazy to log 15 ingredients per meal. What was the main culprit in your weight gain is not necessarily what contributed to weight gain in others.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    To my critics.. just try giving up fast food and see if you reach your weight loss or maintenance goals more easily. I predict.. you will.

No kosher fast food chains I know of in North America, let alone my city of residence. A felafel once every 3 to 6 months really wasn't what got me to obesity-level III in the first place.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just make sure that whatever I eat from the restaurant doesn't make me go over my calorie goal.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I feel kinda bad when I substitute alcohol for food, like I decide to have a few drinks and skip dinner. Because honestly, really, that's not the best way to take care of myself and I know it. But as long as it's not every night it's ok.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't eat food that makes me feel guilty. However, if I was forced to eat at McD's I would be angry, because it's not filling, healthy, or delicious, which means it's a waste of calories I could have used to eat foods that were filling, healthy, and delicious.

I live in what they call a food swamp - a term invented by the same people who came up with food desert - which is a place surrounded by an abundance of fattening and unhealthy places to eat out. It's really annoying and troublesome in terms of socializing. I would like to be able to go out with friends without having to save up calories for it, for food that doesn't even taste good. Recently my husband and I have been running at a new location, and we were looking for a place to eat on the way back. At a single corner we could see Captain D's, Shoney's, McD's, IHOP, a local fried fish place, Krystal, Ruby Tuesday, Taco Bell, a local Mexican place, and Church's chicken. None of those places has food I would voluntarily choose for the flavor, and in all of them it would be difficult to pick a meal under 500 calories which didn't make me feel sad, bust my blood glucose levels, and clog my arteries. (Actually the Mexican place might have one or two decent options, it's unfair to malign it without having seen the menu.) At home I can have a delicious meal for 500 calories. But I have to shop for it and cook it myself, and if I want to socialize with friends I have to go through all the effort of entertaining, which is much harder than meeting someone at a restaurant.

There are a handful of decent local places to eat out, but none of them are cheap - I can buy 50 chicken nuggets for 10 dollars! Or two pieces of grilled fish for fifty dollars - and they require driving miles out of my way to get to them.