Protein or Breakfast Shake for LESS hunger!!??

Options
Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone had a preferred protein or breakfast shake they use?

I am usually pretty rushed in the morning getting to work and school and such and don't have time to make a cooked breakfast and have been using Ensure High Protein shakes, and then I just eat my packed lunch a few hours later. The Ensure ones are pretty good, I was just wondering if anyone has a shake they use that keeps them feeling a little less hungry for a little longer? Or even a low cal easy to make smoothie with the same effect!
I am working on weight loss so preferably not too high calorie! I prefer the protein ones because I'm not a super big meat eater so it helps me keep my protein intake a bit more stable!

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Do you have time to prep something the night before? Quick microwave in the morning and ready to eat.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been using a variety of frozen fruits, flax seed and almond milk. Roughly about 250 to 300 calories. It really fills me up and keeps me going.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Do you have time to prep something the night before? Quick microwave in the morning and ready to eat.

It kind of depends. I'm working on my Master's degree right now so the afternoons and evening are still taken up by school...
    I do meal prep my dinners and some lunches for the most part at the beginning of the week but since I'm not a super big breakfast eater I liked the idea of just drinking something in the car and going on with the rest of the day haha
    I tried smoothies for a bit but with all the fruit/milk/yogurt I would add the calories really stacked up and took away from the rest of my day :/

So the protein shakes seemed a good solution! But I've heard bad things about them using soy and other possibly bad stuff? I don't know, just was wondering if other people had quick easy low cal breakfast things they did!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Shakes have never satisfied me if I am hungry, no matter what their nutrient content is. However, a 150 calorie carton of greek yogurt and an apple has - you could eat the apple in the car, too :) Overnight oats might be an option. Being rushed in the morning might be something you could solve, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Personally drinking any kind of shake doesn't make me feel full...it's pretty much liquid and passes through you pretty quick and takes next to nothing to digest.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another one who can't drink breakfast and feel full!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time meeting my protein goal too and I'm lactose intolerant, so I like the Orgain protein powder blended with a frozen banana and unsweetened almond milk as a snack after workouts. Be sure and weigh the banana though!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    a bit of a tangeant on your question but I make steel cut oats for 3-4 days at a time in the evening. then put in portion containers so in the morning i stick in the microwave with some frozen fruit. tada! You can dress it up as you wish, i keep it simple so i can eat a bigger portion of oats and still be at 240 cals with fruit.

because for me personally no drink will satisfy my hunger especially in the morning. i need (and this is just me) grains and something "heavy".
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Unless you really love that shake, you can get more protein per calorie with other prepackaged options. The Ensure high protein shake isn't *that* high in protein. It's 16 grams for 160 calories. By comparison, Quest bars start at 20 grams of protein for 180 calories.

In addition, many people find that fiber also helps them feel full, and some people feel full when they eat fat. Protein helps many people with satiety, but there are other options that might help you.

My usual breakfast is nonfat Greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder, chocolate PB2, and high fiber cereal. Use water or milk to thin it to your preferred consistency. If fat helps you feel full, you can use a higher fat yogurt. To prep the night before, measure your yogurt into one container and all the dry ingredients into the other, then just stir them together in the morning.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I often have a protein shake for breakfast and they keep me full. Dymatize and Women's Best are the two I have most often. Sometimes a combo of the two and/or with some PB Fit powder (I'm a flavor mixer).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    In addition to protein powder, I add fiber and fat to coffee and it keeps me full for hours. I brew the coffee over the dried coconut. In the summer I do this the night before so it can cool down. If I were more rushed in the AM I would also brew it the night before.

mj9099gi5jdr.png

I like my chia seeds to have a long soak in water and start the next batch when I'm assembling the current batch, so they soak for 24 hours, but that is convenient for me and much less time is actually needed, but best done the night before so you don't have to fuss with it in the AM.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    My wife uses Shakeology most mornings and blends it with almond milk and a banana. It seems to hold her over pretty well.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Quest is delicious. Love their vanilla milkshake and cookies & cream...especially blended with ice. Target has a decent vanilla too.
  • merekins
    Options
    But my preferred protein shake for breakfast is steamed frothy milk with shots of espresso. I like it a latte. 🙄🤣
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »
    Quest is delicious. Love their vanilla milkshake and cookies & cream...especially blended with ice. Target has a decent vanilla too.

Quest cookies and cream is such a treat! I love that flavor <3
  • merekins
    Options
    @whitpauly I’ve had it for dessert on more than one occasion. Lol
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Premeir protein are my fav. Pre made. I like mixing them with cold coffee. Half a shake and 20 oz of coffee fills me up for a while. I have a protein bar around 10 am. I don't eat a full meal until 2pm
    160 cals for 30 grams of protein. Im in class several days a week so these have been super easy to drink
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have protein shakes most mornings, but it's not the only part of my breakfast. It's usually with my coffee (I mix them together), then I will also have a banana, sometimes banana and almond butter, eggs, etc. That together is usually enough to keep me full for a few hours. If you blend yours instead of using the premade ones, you could throw 1/2 frozen banana and maybe some PB Fit and it would help a lot with being full.

To answer your question, I like the Evolve protein shakes. I chose this one because it's dairy-free, so if you can have dairy, it might not be the one for you. It tastes identical to the Premier Protein chocolate flavor if you have had those.

I don't think any one is going to be better as far as how full you get, but really the ingredients and macros you are looking for.