Lifting heavy and losing my waist

Options
I've been lifting heavy for a fortnight now and can already notice changes in my stomach.
It seems to be firmer all round but my waist is becoming less defined and more straight from bottom of my ribs to my hips. I really liked my hip-waist ratio before and don't want to lose it! I look less feminine now!

I've been lifting every other day. Still fairly light as just a beginner.

What's happening? Do I need to stop deadlifting?

Replies

• michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is not going to make you look like a man, search the boards for pics of "bulky" woman. I would suggest taking measuremnts you may be seeing things that aren't really happening.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements and/or progress photos? It's unlikely that you've put on a noticeable amount of muscle around your waist in two weeks, especially if you're not eating a surplus of calories. Perhaps you are retaining water in the muscles around your middle?
  • snivvy
    snivvy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a progress pic yet as its too soon. Maybe after a month or so. Have just measured and my waist has gained 2cm.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is the goal you are trying to reach with lifting? How much of a calorie deficit are you on, if any?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a progress pic yet as its too soon. Maybe after a month or so. Have just measured and my waist has gained 2cm.

This happened to me too. I had almost no abdominal muscle at all and when I started lifting the main muscle soreness I got was in my abs!! I now have a much stronger, firmer core- but it's true that my waist measurement went up a couple of cm. For me it's worth it to have a stronger core - and I still have a small waist.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we gain a bit of water weight when we first start lifting heavy, if we are working out as hard as we should. But it goes away.
    I am 100 percent positive that lifting weights is only going to make you look better. You won't lose your waist. You probably won't even build much muscle, even if you keep at it for years. You will, however, get much more toned.
    I have run and done squats for years, and I think I work pretty hard, and I have a male's testosterone, and I am not big.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? Is your waist getting bigger? Or perhaps are your hips getting smaller?
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? Is your waist getting bigger? Or perhaps are your hips getting smaller?

That's what happened with me. My hips got WAY smaller, which made me look less curvy. Squat and deadlift to build the butt and work shoulders, back and upper body. Okay.....so I should've said to lift heavy full body!

Broad shoulders and well defined glutes/legs will make your waist look smaller, even if you aren't naturally an hour glass figure. Love the awesome, strong body you are developing!! I love my broad shoulders, strong back and how small they make my waist look.

30d14872-ed70-484d-864c-fc2844da9e11_zpse07a364c.jpg