Curly girl method?

meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
So this may be a bit of a strange topic but I am trying to completly makeover my whole out look on who I am. I have always had curly/wavy hair (it's a strange mix idk) but I have always neglected and harmed it. I am wanting to embrace it and love my curls but def can't afford any high end products. I was thinking cantu any suggestions?

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member

I'm curly/wavy too (some hair clumps curly, some wavy) and it's hit/miss for my "au natural" hair to look decent. It either looks good or like I've been electrocuted.

No fail safe for this hair type, environment (drying time, humidity of the air) will all play a role I've found...I cannot predict a "good hair day"
    I straighten my hair once in a while to get a predictable result...people always compliment it straight (which makes me feel kinda like I may look like crap otherwise!)

Gettcha tho, I love my curls/waves when they look good

I think its all temperature, humidty ...and my hair curly/wavy tends to look better if I let it dry naturally from soaking wet (like 4 hour dry time) no products, just a pea sized bit of conditioner rubbed through the length.

I havent found a product I like, and I like a 'clean' hair feel for setting, I just use a tiny bit of conditioner

Currently use:
    Oleplex shampoo
    Joico Violet Shampoo
    Joico Moisture Conditoner

**random tip...if you want Joico products go to Winners/Marshals (Canada/US) super discounted price
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    I’m not exactly curly, just wavy. On a good day I get ringlets. Usually I look like I have a tired 90s spiral perm. I’ve been experimenting with products and methods for about three months now. I find that the Deva Curl products (the curly girl ones) do work way better for me. Maybe that’s because my hair is so fine that other products tend to weigh it down. That’s also why drying with a diffuser works better for me too, or loose pin curls, or a soft bun—takes some weight off and allows the ringlets to form better.
    I did get a Deva cut to add lift too, but I needed a cut anyway.
    It’s definitely been interesting to try. Everyone has different hair, and I think it’s worth a shot. For one thing, the method will help your hair to be healthier in the end.
    Here’s a before and after:
    itphelxviylv.jpeg
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited February 2019
    etb62mykoi88.png
    I have crazy curly hair. I straighten it a couple of times a month, mostly because I get tired of having to deal with it curly.
    I use Joico products for shampoo & conditioner and also use a dab of conditioner on it before letting it air dry.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    edited February 2019
    ucl4odgluup9.jpg

I like my curls more when my hair is longer but this is the current length.
    I use biosilk on damp hair and wrap it in a towel while I get ready. Then use spray gel on my hair, any kind. Let mostly air dry but finish drying with a hair dryer and diffuser. A tiny bit more biosilk and finish with hairspray.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you? They sell affordable good products. Often they are manufactured by the high end companies just in different packaging so the manufacturers can hit all the markets. The associates there are also knowledgeable about the products and which ones you need.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Using products without sulfates and parabens is a good start, and you can find a lot of affordable products that don't have them. Shea Moisture has quite a few that are awesome for curly hair. You don't have to do the curly girl method, but you can definitely try it.

My hair is naturally curly/wavy, and I straighten it about half the time, but when I keep it natural, I don't like spending a lot of time on it or making it complicated. I just use sulfate-free products, air dry, and hope for the best lol. Curly hair is incredibly unpredictable.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ah I have wavy hair. This is a struggle. I was considering LUS products. Now I use spray gel or wave spray and a little hair oil. I am trying to get more curl though. As it is I am in hair limbo. Hair days are unpredictable.

rn7ten896054.jpg

• meeper123
    Been great so far I had really very very dry coarse hair so my hair is loving all the moisture
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Watch out if you have hard water. I have type 1c/2a hair and I tried the curly hair shampoos and conditioners for a while trying to get it more to the 2a side of things, but eventually my hair became the consistency of straw without sulfates to strip out the mineral buildup. You may have to throw sulfates in there once in a while for that reason. It also didn't consistently make my hair any curlier. As for products I have always liked Shea Moisture as a brand in general. I used their conditioner off and on even after I stopped the curly method. Their products are very thick so a bottle can last for a while, and especially good if you have dry hair.
  • meeper123
    hey justin it works for boys too its just the name of the book lol
  • meeper123
    ok I will do that Lauren is it like what once a month or so?
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    meeper123 wrote: »
    ok I will do that Lauren is it like what once a month or so?

It depends on your water and hair. I heard once a week is typical.