breaking the addiction

Options
While having a heated discussion with my husband today about him supporting my new diet, I came to a realization and made what I think is a strong argument. I told him that my decision to focus on my diet and get serious about losing weight and being healthy is a lifestyle change. But beyond that, it's breaking an addiction. My husband smokes and says he hasn't quit yet because he isn't strong enough or ready enough to quit. I explained to him that this is the first time in my life that I am dieting for myself and therefore is the first time I feel that I'm going to be successful. However, much like a smoker trying to quit smoking after 15 years, this feels like breaking an addiction to food. I think I got comfortable being the "fat girl". I began to just accept that I would be big for the rest of my adult life because my mom and my aunts and my sisters are all big. Hey, it's genetic, right? Then I saw a picture of myself from senior year of high school, only ten years ago, and realized just how small my frame actually is. Yes, I have a booty and I have large breasts, but those have always been there. I used to be fit and curvy, the body all the girls envied and all the boys wish their girlfriends had. So why if this was my reality then, was it so hard for me to accept that this can be my reality again? As I type this I just had another epiphany... It's not the food I'm addicted to.... It's the "fat" I'm addicted to. I'm addicted to being un-noticed. I'm addicted to not getting attention. I'm addicted to covering my body and hiding what I've done to my body. I'm addicted to making excuses. I'm addicted to the lifestyle of being fat. I'm addicted to being lazy and blaming it on health issues and genetics. I'm addicted.... and it's time for me to go to rehab and kick this nasty habit.

Replies

• flyersrule17a
    flyersrule17a Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way- it's very comfortable to be the day girl(oddly enough) although, Ialso have it towards food, too. Every day is a new fight for me against my addiction to food!
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. You hit it right, it is a "Lifestyle Change". It takes a while to convince your spouse to eat similar things when they are healthy. Seems like the bad stuff is easy to give in to.