What are the reasons behind your desire to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    1. To help prevent future health issues or make them easier to manage (My mom has type 2 diabetes, degenerative discs in 2 locations, fibromyalgia, and neuropathy. I'm already beginning to show signs of nerve damage issues)
    2. To be able to do more with my future child (maybe in a few years)
    3. To wear cuter clothes and be able to shop anywhere for clothes without struggling
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Honestly the biggest thing was health. I was on diabetes meds and my family has a very high risk of stroke. My father, mother, grandmother and sister all had strokes. I didn't want to end up that way. I'm off the diabetes meds now although blood pressure is still high. It was worth it.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    1. To look tolerable naked.
    2. To get rid of my beer belly. I don't drink alcohol
    3. To be happy with the person I see in the mirror physically. (Dysmorphia is a m@therf%&#er)
  • UnDyddArYTro
    UnDyddArYTro Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    1. I don't want to be 'fat and forty'
    2. I really want to see my children grow up and share at least a decent portion of their adulthood with them
    3. I want to be healthier

If I can average 1lb a week I'll get to my goal in time for my 4th decade. I do have a bit of a journey ahead of me but something has clicked and I'm finally going to lose this weight.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    1. Self esteem
    2. To look great naked
    3. More energy and just overall feeling better
    4. Defy any aging
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    1) having control of my relationship with food improves my mental health
    2) being more fit allows me to say yes to more activities and life experiences
    3) feeling less fat gives me an indescribable amount of confidence that has allowed me to make more friends and be more outgoing
    4) buying clothes has become much less of a stressful chore and I’m able to express my personality more in my wardrobe
    5) building habits with eating has allowed me to transfer those skills to work organization and other areas of my life
  • LisaLethal
    LisaLethal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1.) To boost my confidence, and actually want to be seen again, and not just fade into the background out of insecurity.
    2.) To prove a point. My ex treated me as though I was worthless, and for a time I truly began to believe him. Figured I had already ditched 230 lbs.... might as well focus on 60 of my own =P
    3.) I really want to dance the night away, not feel overly sweaty or get tired after 20 minutes.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I want to look good for my 30th high school reunion.
    So basically vanity.
  • ManEatingLizard
    ManEatingLizard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a cancer scare this year.... and it freaked me out.
    So, I don't wanna die of a fat disease. Like that's a terrible story to tell in the afterlife. I'm not aiming to be a size 00, but I'd like to get some weight off my knees and maybe not have to take my new blood pressure medication anymore... and not get diabetes in my twilight years... like everyone in my family.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    1. To be around when I have grand kids, and even great grandkids (I never met any of my great grandparents, nor one of my grandmas)
    2. To feel comfortable in my own skin, enough to wear a swim suit again
    3. Look good naked :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Purely pride. I have a dress that I'd like to wear again. I'd like to be able to knock out a dozen push-ups like it's nothing, or run a few miles just because.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    1. I have type 2 diabetes and I would like to get off insulin
    2. To see my granddaughters grow up
    3. To feel comfortable in my body again
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Initially 6 + years ago, it was largely about health and improving various health markers that were pretty crappy. Currently, I'm just wanting to drop a little of the winter fluff...about 7 Lbs to go out of 10.
  • Quelana
    Quelana Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1. Osteoporosis and diabetes running in my family
    2. To be able to do sports (mainly hiking and skiing) without being out of breath the whole time
    3. To look presentable when I go out (especially with my fiancé introducing me to his coworkers and such) as I have really low self-esteem
    4. To be able to stand up better to my fiancé's abusive parents who criticize my weight (26 BMI atm) while they're not exactly fit either
    5. To not be completely useless when I have a baby. I need more energy and endurance, haha!
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Quelana wrote: »
    1. Osteoporosis and diabetes running in my family
    2. To be able to do sports (mainly hiking and skiing) without being out of breath the whole time
    3. To look presentable when I go out (especially with my fiancé introducing me to his coworkers and such) as I have really low self-esteem
    4. To be able to stand up better to my fiancé's abusive parents who criticize my weight (26 BMI atm) while they're not exactly fit either
    5. To not be completely useless when I have a baby. I need more energy and endurance, haha!

4. I would definitely. Either, stand up for myself or just not be involved with them, at all. I stood up to my abusive Grandma who criticize my weight since I was eight years old. (Like, I would come home to my Mom with a suitcase full of slim-shakes.) She didn't like that I stood up for myself and she blocked me. Then told family, "I love her unconditionally, I don't know why she is ignoring me." Just because, they're family. Doesn't mean you have to let them treat you like that. Even if its gonna be by marriage. Stay strong, it'll be hard but, worth the less stress. Believe me, its made my process, way smoother. <3
  • Deepaksaphr
    Deepaksaphr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    1) I had reached 170 kg - 375 pounds
    2) I could barely walk
    3) I finally wanted to do something for myself.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Health
    Confidence
    Style (I wanna wear cute clothes, not just what I can find that'll fit and not look too bad!)
    Being a disciplined person
    Being able to do more physically
    I wanna be hot!

OK, this was way more motivating to type out than I expected! Imma screenshot this and post it somewhere!

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Boba_14626 wrote: »
    1. To look tolerable naked.
    2. To get rid of my beer belly. I don't drink alcohol
    3. To be happy with the person I see in the mirror physically. (Dysmorphia is a m@therf%&#er)

@Boba_14626

Anecdote with no scientific basis - my husband also suffers from the beer belly but isn't a drinker. When I started to lose the weight I put on one of the things I did was to stop eating starchy carbs and replace with lots of green vegetables. He didn't need to lose weight, but for ease just ate the same things I was (in larger portions). We have discovered that his belly shrank, even though his weight didn't alter. Now if we have a week where we eat more bread/rice/pasta his belly comes back. We cut them out for a fortnight, it goes back down. Maybe it could be more accurately described as bread belly?

Back on topic - why did I want to lose weight? I knackered my back, put on loads of weight, made everything more difficult, sorted my act out to take the pressure off my back. (also vanity)