I don't want to fall down at the last hurdle.

Options
Hi everyone!
I started my weight loss journey in September and with a break in December I've lost 40 pounds. Calorie counting and daily exercise is clearly the way forward.
I've now 20 pounds till I'm at a healthy bmi.
I'm worried now because I'm so close and I don't to get bored and give up which I've done many times before.
Any advice or tips that might help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's too early to worry. Keep up the good work. As you approach your goal you may discover that your rate of loss slows. Keep going. You'll get there eventually. When you do, keep counting calories but count a little higher for a few weeks to see if you can find your stable range.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is to get rid of the idea that there's going to be an end to this process. Even if you manage to not get bored and stop before reaching your goal weight, you can't get bored and stop once you're there, either.

Make tracking and logging and exercising their own reward. Make each day that you follow your plan its own standalone success. Make a plan that you can follow, with modifications over time, forever.

It can be subtle, but you need to get rid of the idea of being done. You're not done proactively taking care of your health and your well-being til your dead. Dig in and get comfortable, and let this become not a transient process, but the way you live.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    If you can take a minute to explain the boredom issue I’d appreciate it. I’m kind of a student of how folks talk themselves out of their program. Especially when it’s working. I’m genuinely interested, not trying to be snarky.

Is the problem that you aren’t really at the last hurdle? I’ve lost 100+ lbs. But I had a ferocious time getting past the 2/3 mark, about where you are now. When I got moving again I was elated. Getting to places I never thought I could sure wasn’t boring.

Also, I did notice the work of the law of diminishing returns. When I started I had back pain, HBP, and a CPAP. All that stuff was gone at the 2/3 mark. Do you have goals aside from the BMI number? Is that enough?

Near the end I was motivated by not much other than the number. That and the desire to silence the nagging voice in my head to close the deal.