Do you eat CLEAN, IIFYM, or straight calories... and why???

Options
Just thought it'd be interesting to see how others who are being successful do it....

Clean to me means no processed stuff, lots of whole foods, etc.

IIFYM If It Fits Your Macros is certain percentages of protein, carb, fat, etc.

Straight calories means nothing is off limits as long as you don't exceed your daily allotment....

What are you doing that is working for you???

Replies

• jennagoogles13
    Options
    A little bit of all three...The majority of what I eat is fruit, veggies, meat, and whole grains, but that's because those are the foods I enjoy the most. Don't get me wrong, I love pizza and cheeseburgers, so I eat them if I want them, but they aren't a daily thing. I don't restrict myself at all!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat better using the glycemic index diet, which controls insulin from going nutso -- and that means less processed food, more complex carbs, vegetable and fruits. I try to make sure that everything I eat has a reason or purpose -- it gets me fiber, vitamins, protein -- something. Even my "treats" tend to do this. Strawberries and dark chocolate! (Vitamin C, antioxidants!)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat with a calorie deficit and try to keep my sodium <2300mg.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I try to eat for the soul as well as the body. I love fruits and vegetables and other whole foods, but sometimes I just want cake.

Rather, that's what I tried to do before homelessness happened. Now, I eat to survive. 2 weeks on bread, american cheese, plain yogurt, grapenuts, and bananas. Next shopping trip, rice and lentils and frozen veggies (if the generics are on sale).
  • kRcu
    kRcu Posts: 18
    Options
    I do a calorie deficit (-500) on IIFYM. I do it because I generally eat healthy clean foods, but it allows me to factor in other food types when I'm not able to choose my ideal meals (eating out). It's also easy to follow since I don't feel like I'm restricted, I can eat whatever I want. It has made me literally save calories here and there so I can have a large dinner and feel satisfied after I eat.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight on straight calories. It did force me to eat fairly healthy though because otherwise I would be starving.

Now that I'm working on fitness and strength, I'm doing IIFYM. Nothing is off limits, but hitting my macros means I cannot eat all junk. I do eat plenty of junk though...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A little bit of all three...The majority of what I eat is fruit, veggies, meat, and whole grains, but that's because those are the foods I enjoy the most. Don't get me wrong, I love pizza and cheeseburgers, so I eat them if I want them, but they aren't a daily thing. I don't restrict myself at all!

^^^ This - it has worked for me for over 9 years.
  • Butterflymomto2
    Butterflymomto2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    SInce I have started my weightloss journey, I am only on week 2, but I have been clean eating. I have been coffee and diet soda free for a week and I don't miss it. I have been drinking lots of water, with lemon wedges and green tea, green tea slimberry too. I am finding that eating clean has really helped me get rid of craving bad stuff. I use stevia to flavor my green tea, or oatmeal. I am following a 1300 calorie diet. I know everything in moderation..but for me right now it's best to stay away from all of the evil stuff as I have been detoxing my body and my body has been rewarding me with tons of energy and just feeling really good. I haven't had that so I know cutting out alot of things and clean eating as well as my drinking my shakeology shakes has been working for me!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Straight calories, eating foods I enjoy* because it's just easier that way.

*The foods that I enjoy are usually minimally processed. :smile:
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Mine is from my doctor.

Under 1200 calories.
    Sodium under 1500
    Carbs 90
    No soda, sweets, junk, fast food, processed food.

Feeling much much better after only 2.5 weeks and down 13lbs.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just a FYI, there is more to IIFYM than just setting some %'s :smile: It should still be based primarily on whole unprocessed foods. Flexbile dieting is a better term as it should include adequate micronutrients and fibre.

IIFYM or flexible dieting for me.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just thought it'd be interesting to see how others who are being successful do it....

Clean to me means no processed stuff, lots of whole foods, etc.

IIFYM If It Fits Your Macros is certain percentages of protein, carb, fat, etc.

Straight calories means nothing is off limits as long as you don't exceed your daily allotment....

What are you doing that is working for you???

I did none of the above for weight loss and did a version of IF (JUDDD) :) Now I'm in maintenance and eat a whole foods, plant based diet.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Clean. It's doctor supervised too - I wasn't eating fast food or anything, but enough junk that my cholesterol was going up, inflammation factors up, thyroid function down, etc. I've tried IIFYM/just counting calories and it was sheer torture if I could pull it off at all - definitely not something I could sustain. Yeah I got to eat what I wanted, but the tiny amounts made it a force of willpower and felt like a losing battle. Cutting out gluten/most grains/dairy/added sugar did the trick though. It reduced the chronic inflammation in my joints and I feel so much better that I have no interest in eating the foods I used to. I don't want to feel like that again. And I eat a ton of veggies (and love them) which means that I can fill up all I want without going over on calories for the most part. I'm never going hungry anymore and that's WAY easier for me.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight on straight calories. It did force me to eat fairly healthy though because otherwise I would be starving.

Now that I'm working on fitness and strength, I'm doing IIFYM. Nothing is off limits, but hitting my macros means I cannot eat all junk. I do eat plenty of junk though...

^^This
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just a FYI, there is more to IIFYM than just setting some %'s :smile: It should still be based primarily on whole unprocessed foods. Flexbile dieting is a better term as it should include adequate micronutrients and fibre.

100% agree

ditto for me
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. Whether it be processed, junk food or whatever. I keep the unhealthy food to a limit. Not because I'm on a certain diet, but because not only is it not good for me but because when I'm on 1200 cals per day, I'm still hungry after eating junk. I try to select fulfilling whole grains, fruits, veggies and protein that are at the lowest cals that are delicious because I love my taste buds to dance when I eat and so I can stay within my cals. I used to make room for junk. Now I just eat it if I really want it and then work it off if I need to. I don't consider it as working off the junk though. I consider it as working off the added cals that I went over if needed. :smile:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Clean (wholefoods) vegan.
    Why?
    - The overwhelming scientific evidence that it will eliminate or significantly reduce the risks associated with nearly every form of chronic disease.
    - Lower environmental impact
    - Consistent with my own personal ethics

After th first week of adopting a vegan lifestyle I had lost 2kg (4lb) with no change to my activity frequency or intensity.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's all one big buffet line to me - borrow from the "clean" eating camp when I need to pull an all-nighter, eat tasty rubbish when I have a calorie target to reach, down carbs when my energy isn't where it needs to be, and jack recipes from the paleo crowd when I have the urge for some grease without the taste of unpronouncables.
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

+1 here.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reducing the amount of processed foods I eat although Chilis has a great Classic Toasted Turkey Sandwich that I eat from time to time.

8488541.png