Just counting calories

Options
Im just planning on counting calories. Can I lose weight by just doing that?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Yep. I lost 100 pounds before I started to even walk more. Eat less calories than your body burns.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you make sure that you are consistently in a calorie deficit. A good way to do that is to weigh all your food using a food scale.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Count them until you reach your budget for losing weight, then repeat that most every day for several months and yes, you will lose weight.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight through just counting calories and no exercise. That's how I started. I gradually started adding exercise in though as it is important for your health. But I think it's easier to start with small changes and add more in over time. Trying to overhaul your lifestyle overnight can be overwhelming.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you might find other reasons to exercise. Like I enjoy having extra calories to eat from exercise. Cardio helps with the anxiety and depression, and pretty much any exercise help a lot with my mood and energy. Definitely don't need it just to lose weight though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Yes, however I'd certainly recommend exercise for its additional health benefits and maintaining muscle mass. It's up to you though.

I need an explanation on why this was woo’d three times.... is this info wrong? I don’t think so I’m confused .

A lot of people mistakenly think the Woo button is for Woo Hoo - a positive.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Yes, however I'd certainly recommend exercise for its additional health benefits and maintaining muscle mass. It's up to you though.

I need an explanation on why this was woo’d three times.... is this info wrong? I don’t think so I’m confused .

A lot of people mistakenly think the Woo button is for Woo Hoo - a positive.

Oh thank god because I was like great another myth going on or something that idk about
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started losing by just reducing calories. Once I was a bit lighter, I felt better about exercise and started doing some! Am now doing couch25k and really enjoying it. It takes a while but just start and then keep going, slow and steady; it's achievable.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 75 pounds with just counting calories and eating in a deficit. Now I've added in some easy weight lifting etc, but yes, you can lose a ton of weight just by tracking what you eat