Anyone else have a problem when weighing everyday?

Options
I've just started my weight loss journey, but I have a problem with weighing everyday and if there are no results, I get discouraged and start eating badly and gain back all the weight i had originally lost :/
It's just really hard to stay off that scale...

any suggestions?

Replies

• Lisasnomys
    Lisasnomys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale once a week, for me it is Friday morning. Means I get a bit anxious on Thursday night but it is worthwhile when I see the numbers going down. Also I have started taking my measurements so that if my scale doesn't go down because I am getting more toned I can have a way to judge this. Put the Scale out of sight I know its hard but you can do it. :-)
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh daily if you can mentally handle the ups and downs, especially for women. If the daily gets to you, you need to do it only once per week. The number on the scale is just that...a number. There are alot better ways to track success...the fit of your clothes, measurements, or how you are feeling.

I personally weigh almost every day but I am also learning what particular foods do to me as I know sodium and such really affect my body. I expect the ups and downs as long as the overall trend is down. You need to be very open and forgiving of yourself if you weigh daily. Feel free to add me. Good luck
  • a84vikes
    a84vikes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm trying my best to wait a month before weighing myself, on the 2nd week already. I used to do it everyday, but had the same results as you. Just hide the scale and try not to think about it.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself only once a week. Bury the scale in your closet and dig it out again once a week, record your results, and put it back. Or you could try weightgrapher.com, which is what I use. You can put in your daily weight and it creates a graph of your moving average weight to smooth out the bumps. As long as you are under the average, you are losing!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every day.
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    well i can't hide the scale and dig it out when i want it lol i've got other people in the house that use it XD

But also I don't think I could wait a whole month. it's gonna be hard enough to wait a week :p
  • gallagirl05
    Options
    Get rid of the scale! I would do the same thing if I had one -- obsess over the number and weigh myself everyday, probably after every meal! The only time I weigh myself is at the doctor's office (I have to go about every month). It's more important when you start to make sure that you're eating as healthy as you can (there'll be days when you mess up) and drinking lots of water. If you're eating right, the pounds will come off without you really noticing. But if you don't want to get rid of the scale, stick to once a week.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day is counterproductive,as your weight can fluctuate, often due to fluid. Once a week is best. If you want best results, weigh nude in the morning, before breakfast but after visiting the bathroom.
    Regarding fluid, remember ' a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter', so don't get disheartened by sudden changes in weight if you've been sticking to your eating/fitness plan, specially around TOTM.
  • pigana
    pigana Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh myself either once a week or twice a week. I started dieting on a Tuesday so that is usually my main day that I weigh myself weekly. I notice sometimes the scale wont budge even if I do good, but a few days later the scale goes down and stays that way, don't get discouraged. Just keep it up and in time you will lose weight. Also with this app if I overeat I will calculate how long I have to exercise doing certain activites such as walking or aerobics to burn it off, so then I do that.

G'luck and just do the best you can, try to remember the main reason why you wanted to lose the weight in the first place.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    well i kindly think i weight myself everyday so i can see the results. Cuz when you're bigger you can't really SEE it for a while ya know?
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I decided to only weigh myself once a month, and it is working fine for me. The way I see it, I'm already tracking my progress by counting calories, so weighing would just be measuring the same thing twice.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have gotten into a bad habit of weighing everyday. I don't start eating all sorts of bad food, but it does kind of discourage me. I'm thinking of removing the scale from the bathroom and putting it in the basement or somewhere else where it's not readily available.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    I think it'll be easier not to weigh myself so often when i can start physically seeing results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would suggest educating yourself a bit more on how all of this works. You don't see results in a day or matter of days...it's a trend over a much longer period of time. Nothing about this is linear; you don't lose exactly 0.X Lbs per day or whatever. You're going to have weeks with little to no loss...weeks with bigger losses...weeks with modest gains. These are all attributable to the fact that you have natural body weight fluctuations that have ZERO to do with BF; I can fluctuate easily 3-5 Lbs day to day dependent on sodium intake, exercise intensity (high intensity exercise causes water retention), timing of food in/out, etc.

I'd further suggest that you put less emphasis on some arbitrary number on the scale and put more emphasis on being healthy...getting proper nutrition...getting your fitness on, etc. When you focus on the results you rarely ever see the change; when you focus on the change, you always see the results.

Lastly, I'd suggest you don't weigh yourself daily if you do not understand and can't cope with natural body weight fluctuations.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who weighs up to 3 times a day. I think she may require an intervention.
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    I have a friend who weighs up to 3 times a day. I think she may require an intervention.

oh my goodness lol well i've weighed twice in one day because i wanted to see if i lost any weight by sweating as much as i did that day XD but i wasn't really hoping for results. I was just being silly.