Hard to be patient...

Options
This is my 34th day of counting calories and logging food... which is about 4 more days than my previous logging streak (I’ve been a member since about 2010 on and off). I think before I lost weight in an unhealthy way so I would see drops of 2-4 pounds a week. Then the pounds would stop and I would get sick of eating so little and working out so much that I’d quit. This time I am doing the system right and eating within a healthy calorie range. I am down 8 pounds during these 5 weeks and know the process is working. It is just so hard to be patient! I am just now to where I was last summer let alone lower than that point. I am currently 137 and want to get to 118-120 for my 5’4 small frame.

I’d love to hear any inspiration or stories of patience. How long did it take you all to lose about 30 pounds? I’ve tried setting mini goals as I meet certain checkpoints which has certainly helped a bit.

Thanks for any inspiration!

Replies

• InAPairOfChucks
    InAPairOfChucks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    8 pounds in 5 weeks is great progress! Patience is going to be the key to getting to your goal, just enjoy the journey.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You’ve made great progress so far. Try not to focus so much on the destination. What are you doing every day to get you closer to your goal? For me, it’s about the small victories. I lost just over 5 lbs in January, which I’m totally thrilled about. If I weren’t committed to this, I guarantee you I would’ve maintained, or even gained weight in January instead. For me, it’s about how I can make this a lifestyle.

ETA: I think it’s also helpful to remind yourself that you didn’t gain this weight overnight, and it’s not going to come off overnight, either.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Focus on NSV—Non-Scale Victories.

The scale responds to hormones and water weight and exercise in all sorts of crazy ways. You have to find ways to stay motivated when you’re not seeing the scale results you want.

Most of mine are fitness related goals, and most with the long game in mind.

Another tip to help manage the scale are weight trending apps. It helps you understand the daily fluctuations so those “pounds” that magically appear overnight aren’t so scary. Cause they’re not real weight.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I’m somewhere in the 900s for my day streak. I’ve gained and lost the same lbs over and over and over and overrrrrr. My advice is DONT be me. :D
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm think I'm like 1150 days logged. 200lbs+ lost. It's a marathon not a Sprint. The payoff is worth it. Keep at it.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Great work! As you're near your goal progress won't be quick, at least in my experience.

I previously lost what you're aiming for an it took maybe 4-5 months - I was losing 0.5-1lb a week roughly until I hit about 125 and then it got pretty slow.

I'm 5'3 small frame, similar to you and I suppose I find it easiest to maintain at 120-125, though for my comfort and preference I feel better on the 115-120 side, it just takes a little more work. Also those numbers are more rough guides, I focus on mirror / clothes for self evaluation. After heavy holiday season I crept up to 122 again, so on my 5 "vanity pounds" and also like you on a 34 day streak! I have just gone from 123-120-123-120-121. So basically nothing. But I know I'm paying more attention to what I eat, hitting protein and nutrient goals, exercising more (i.e. being healthier) and I know I'll wake up in a few weeks and be at my goal, but won't put a time pressure on it. I still want to eat pizza and wine without torturing myself with guilt.

Agree to focus on the non-scale victories. I have a t shirt which fits *just right* at one weight, and a dress at another, also I have started lifting weights again and last week did a dead lift of 50kg/110lb - so nearly my body weight. Those are my markers of progress rather than what the scale says.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    This is my 34th day of counting calories and logging food... which is about 4 more days than my previous logging streak (I’ve been a member since about 2010 on and off). I think before I lost weight in an unhealthy way so I would see drops of 2-4 pounds a week. Then the pounds would stop and I would get sick of eating so little and working out so much that I’d quit. This time I am doing the system right and eating within a healthy calorie range. I am down 8 pounds during these 5 weeks and know the process is working. It is just so hard to be patient! I am just now to where I was last summer let alone lower than that point. I am currently 137 and want to get to 118-120 for my 5’4 small frame.

I’d love to hear any inspiration or stories of patience. How long did it take you all to lose about 30 pounds? I’ve tried setting mini goals as I meet certain checkpoints which has certainly helped a bit.

Thanks for any inspiration!

I think you're doing great.

The best recommendation I have is that you are really going to have to train your patience "muscle". Like anything, if it's small, it needs training to grow. And given where you are in the process, you're going to need it.

So....I would make sure to ask yourself this first: am I losing weight for the sake of weight? Or am I trying to make by body into a certain shape that I believe this scale weight represents?

The reason I ask this is that shape comes from keeping your lean body mass while losing fat. Because you can only metabolize a certain amount of fat at a time, as you have less of it, it goes away slower. If your body can't reach the fat stores it needs to in a deficit, it will take energy from other sources - your muscle for example.

What that means is that although 8 pounds in 5 weeks is good, when you get closer to where you want to be, that rate is going to be slower, or at least it should be - if you want to be as healthy as possible.

So...do what you're doing, but don't overdo it because you want to be there yesterday. Be mentally ready for the process to slow down. If you're not doing progressive resistance training, start now. If you do, you may find that your target weight is not really a target. I'm not saying that it's not, but you might be surprised.