Keto flu, I think?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just FYI, I said nothing against keto, I said I don't think the symptoms you described are normal for keto flu, that I had no such experiences when experimenting with low carb, and that while being tired or headachy was likely a sign of electrolyte imbalance I suspected that vomiting had another cause that should be addressed.

Maybe I was wrong, maybe it was a 24 hour bug, but saying that vomiting is not normal = slamming keto diets is inaccurate.

I don't think keto diets have any special health benefits (and think claims that they do, like Dr. Berg or what not are silly and not actually reasonable if you think through it, and that it's REALLY hard to have adequate veg and fiber and so on less than 20 g carbs), but if you like that way of eating and it works for you, great. Definitely does for some, and for those it's the best choice.

Oddly enough when I did keto (although I aimed for more like 35 g net carbs) I felt fine although I was briefly headachy and increased electrolytes. I also felt fine not doing keto so preferred going back to a way of eating that included more veg, fruit, and more whole food carbs.

I'm glad you are doing well, but am a bit offended by your response to people showing concern to the symptoms you described in such a dramatic way.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Just FYI, I said nothing against keto, I said I don't think the symptoms you described are normal for keto flu, that I had no such experiences when experimenting with low carb, and that while being tired or headachy was likely a sign of electrolyte imbalance I suspected that vomiting had another cause that should be addressed.

Maybe I was wrong, maybe it was a 24 hour bug, but saying that vomiting is not normal = slamming keto diets is inaccurate.

I don't think keto diets have any special health benefits (and think claims that they do, like Dr. Berg or what not are silly and not actually reasonable if you think through it, and that it's REALLY hard to have adequate veg and fiber and so on less than 20 g carbs), but if you like that way of eating and it works for you, great. Definitely does for some, and for those it's the best choice.

Oddly enough when I did keto (although I aimed for more like 35 g net carbs) I felt fine although I was briefly headachy and increased electrolytes. I also felt fine not doing keto so preferred going back to a way of eating that included more veg, fruit, and more whole food carbs.

I'm glad you are doing well, but am a bit offended by your response to people showing concern to the symptoms you described in such a dramatic way.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Honestly, looking back through my responses, I honestly wasn't even referring to you. I'm sorry if I offended you. Your response was just offering insight, but there were others that were not, they were just being a bit judgey. I don't know. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone. I was just looking for advice on others who had gone through what I was going through. Love and Light.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options

I just realized you said you were offended by my response to other people, who were showing concern. Well, I apologize for that then. That you were offended for other people. I too was a bit hurt at how people responded to my question. Thank you for your concern ❤️
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Tylenol now offers a cough syrup for keto flu. Unfortunately it's high in sugar. :/
  • Nykkismommy21
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    Tylenol now offers a cough syrup for keto flu. Unfortunately it's high in sugar. :/ [/quote ...😱🤔
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way. Honestly, looking back through my responses, I honestly wasn't even referring to you. I'm sorry if I offended you. Your response was just offering insight, but there were others that were not, they were just being a bit judgey. I don't know. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone. I was just looking for advice on others who had gone through what I was going through. Love and Light.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Rather than self diagnosis, I would visit a doctor if this keeps up.

But perhaps a diet where a side effect is a flu they named after it is not the best one to follow.

this! and why are you drinking "too much apple cider vinegar" - sounds like you are trying to do gimmicky things in hopes of a quick fix?? not sure why else you would put yourself through all that when a calorie deficit would do?!

I'm not trying a gimmicky quick fix. I drink Apple Cider Vinegar for other reasons than for weight loss. Also I like Apple Cider Vinegar 🤷 I was just worried what it might be interfering with the Keto diet. And I am also wondering why people who don't care about the Keto diet,and don't support it, would come on a thread to give advice on it. I wouldn't go to a fitness thread if someone was asking how to make gains. If you don't support something, wondering why you would feel the need to make someone feey stupid for trying something that clearly works for so many people. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Exactly right! My brother has lost over 100 lbs on the Keto diet and is now off of all blood pressure meds. There must be something beneficial about the Keto diet.

There is. And all that matters is people find what works for them. Lol others who don't support keto need to stop getting their cortisols in an uproar. Jk. But I am happy this diet helped your brother!! I have lost 5 lbs this week and have never once felt hungry or deprived. I eat in an 6 hour window and I am satisfied allll day and night till it's time to eat again, and even then I struggle eating all my calories!!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

But perhaps a diet where a side effect is a flu they named after it is not the best one to follow.

this! and why are you drinking "too much apple cider vinegar" - sounds like you are trying to do gimmicky things in hopes of a quick fix?? not sure why else you would put yourself through all that when a calorie deficit would do?!

I'm not trying a gimmicky quick fix. I drink Apple Cider Vinegar for other reasons than for weight loss. Also I like Apple Cider Vinegar 🤷 I was just worried what it might be interfering with the Keto diet. And I am also wondering why people who don't care about the Keto diet,and don't support it, would come on a thread to give advice on it. I wouldn't go to a fitness thread if someone was asking how to make gains. If you don't support something, wondering why you would feel the need to make someone feey stupid for trying something that clearly works for so many people. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Exactly right! My brother has lost over 100 lbs on the Keto diet and is now off of all blood pressure meds. There must be something beneficial about the Keto diet.

It helped him create the necessary calorie deficit that he needed and he lost the excess weight, which in many cases can greatly improve health markers. It's the weight loss though, not the specific plan used (all weight loss plans have a foundation of CICO).

I lost the extra weight and improved all my health markers, including normalizing a pre-diabetic glucose number, with an IF protocol. It wasn't IF that made me healthier though-it was the weight loss. I now have several years of data with normalized numbers, taken during times where I was still doing IF and then times without-no noticeable difference in the numbers, the only constant has been my lower weight.

Keto can be a great tool for some, to make sticking to their calorie deficit easier, just like IF made sticking to a calorie deficit easier for me. But people give credit to the wrong thing and don't realize how much the excess weight really impacts our health.

I definitely agree with this (^bold print), for calorie counting in any direction. I rarely dipped into the peanut butter with a tablespoon after dark before, but I really needed the calories at the end of the day.... :D

I'm not overweight, nor do I have any medical conditions, but I gave this a go 2 weeks ago, just to explore the potential of this nutrition plan (diet=ugly word). I'm in the middle of a demanding weightlifting program, and I wanted to know, how this would affect my training.
    Instead of dumping all carbs at once, I dialed down over a few days, and body took quite well to that. By coincidence, I had veggie soup with broth planned, anyway, which kept my system fairly balanced.
    It was a nice experience, not to feel hungry all the time, even when eating at maintenance. However, as it turns out, my body does not train well in this state. In the end, I prefer to set my macros by percentage with carbs at 20%, instead of having one of them limited to just 20g.
    My opinion about keto after my personal experience: It's not a 'one size fits all' miracle cure. I'm not sure, that it qualifies to be called a 'lifestyle', as there are many restrictions. Also, I could not find solid definitions, explanations, or remedies for any side effects directly related to keto. So many other things, that are going on with one's body...who even knows..? Most people with health conditions will likely not be able to describe their discomfort sufficiently, much less be able to find answers on their own.
    I agree with previous posters, that advise from a doctor should always be prefered to internet advise.

Best of luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »

It helped him create the necessary calorie deficit that he needed and he lost the excess weight, which in many cases can greatly improve health markers. It's the weight loss though, not the specific plan used (all weight loss plans have a foundation of CICO).

I lost the extra weight and improved all my health markers, including normalizing a pre-diabetic glucose number, with an IF protocol. It wasn't IF that made me healthier though-it was the weight loss. I now have several years of data with normalized numbers, taken during times where I was still doing IF and then times without-no noticeable difference in the numbers, the only constant has been my lower weight.

Keto can be a great tool for some, to make sticking to their calorie deficit easier, just like IF made sticking to a calorie deficit easier for me. But people give credit to the wrong thing and don't realize how much the excess weight really impacts our health.

I definitely agree with this (^bold print), for calorie counting in any direction. I rarely dipped into the peanut butter with a tablespoon after dark before, but I really needed the calories at the end of the day.... :D

I'm not overweight, nor do I have any medical conditions, but I gave this a go 2 weeks ago, just to explore the potential of this nutrition plan (diet=ugly word). I'm in the middle of a demanding weightlifting program, and I wanted to know, how this would affect my training.
    Instead of dumping all carbs at once, I dialed down over a few days, and body took quite well to that. By coincidence, I had veggie soup with broth planned, anyway, which kept my system fairly balanced.
    It was a nice experience, not to feel hungry all the time, even when eating at maintenance. However, as it turns out, my body does not train well in this state. In the end, I prefer to set my macros by percentage with carbs at 20%, instead of having one of them limited to just 20g.
    My opinion about keto after my personal experience: It's not a 'one size fits all' miracle cure. I'm not sure, that it qualifies to be called a 'lifestyle', as there are many restrictions. Also, I could not find solid definitions, explanations, or remedies for any side effects directly related to keto. So many other things, that are going on with one's body...who even knows..? Most people with health conditions will likely not be able to describe their discomfort sufficiently, much less be able to find answers on their own.
    I agree with previous posters, that advise from a doctor should always be prefered to internet advise.

Best of luck!

Sounds like a good self experiment.
    If you ever decide to try it again, there is typically a mild reduction in performance in the first 2-4 months, typically, while one becomes fat adapted. After that, for those who experience it, it tends to disappear. Some do like to target carbs around exercise to help mediate that, or because they find it gives them a slight performance boost. TKD or CKD is not uncommon. Many ketoers I know will be below 20g or so on non exercise days, but go up to 80 g or so on heavier exercise days.