Exercising with a bad back

Hi all,

Firstly, disclaimer, I'm brand new here and accidentally had this in another forum - don't know if I should delete that one.

In association with losing some weight, I'd also like to strengthen my core a bit and tone up my stomach. However I have a bit of a bad back and so can't really do sit-ups or crunches. I have been doing forward and side planks instead. I was wondering if anyone knows how many calories you burn doing x seconds of planks and whether they are any good at toning the abdominals?
I also do an exercise, the name of which I don't know, which involves lying on your back and then lifting one leg as high as possible for as long as possible, with the other flat on the ground - does anyone know what this is called, how many calories it burns and whether it is good for any muscles besides the back?

Cheers,

Anthony

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Pilates is good for backs as it strengthens your core muscles which support your back. You want the original pilates though, not power pilates or yogalates. Swimming is good for backs too as your weight is supported by the water. I have back probs but swim regularly.
  • Thanks for the advice