Just wondering! Need some insight help!

Options
Hey everyone! I’m new here. I was wondering how someone comes to know what type of lifestyle change they need in order to have the best possible weight lost success? I have friends that are doing keto, but I’m not sure I can completely give up carbs! I know that everything is or should be in moderation, but what’s healthiest for the human body overall?!? Just wondering what people have to say or what tips you might have to help me with my weight loss journey again...
Little about me:
I’m a wife to a hard working mill man, mother of 3 girls, and a daycare teacher. My days are filled to the brim with stuff to do but not much time for working out. By the time I wake up (4:00 to send my husband of to work), get the girls ready for school, get myself ready to for work, work 8-5, drive home (30mins) cook supper, then clean up. It’s about 9:00 and I’m pooped! I do, most days, use my lunch hour to do grocery shopping. But I’m not sure how much that counts?
Help! I need and want friends that will keep me accountable and are truly concerned with my progress!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My friends go through diets all the time. They herald their new diets as the best thing since sliced bread until they silently quit them and resume whatever their normal is. In a few months they will find the next new best thing.

Ignoring what your friends are doing is probably a good place to start.

You need a calorie deficit and you need to get through each day as happy as you can. Examine yourself for the answers not other people. Start as simple as you can and only add things that you need.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    what are you doing between 4am and whenever your children get up? seems like there is lots of room there to work out if you want to - that and the lunch hours. do groceries one day per week instead of five and you just saved yourselves 4 more hours to exercise. besides all that, as someone said above - you lose weight through a calorie deficit - no workouts required.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You lose weight when you consistently eat fewer calories than you burn. You do not need to do keto or any other named diet in order to lose weight.

You also aren't required to exercise in order to lose weight. You will lose as long as you're in a calorie deficit. Exercise is for other health and fitness benefits, and allows you to eat more. It is not intended to create a larger calorie deficit.

If you want time to exercise, I'd recommend doing all your grocery shopping once a week so you can use your lunch hours for other things. I'd also recommend that assuming your husband does not need help with bathing, dressing, and/or feeding himself, he can get himself off to work.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. No specific plan, exercise, or special food lists needed. Just start eating less calories (smaller portion sizes, switching out higher calorie foods for lower ones etc).

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes are hard. You’ll never be able to overhaul everything overnight so start by making 1 small change - I would suggest that you start logging all your food. Weight loss really just comes down to how much you eat. Exercise is important for health but you don’t have to exercise to lose weight so always start with your diet.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do your grocery shopping online to save time? Or don't you have that in the states? (I'm assuming you're American, sorry if I'm wrong)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I’m new here. I was wondering how someone comes to know what type of lifestyle change they need in order to have the best possible weight lost success? I have friends that are doing keto, but I’m not sure I can completely give up carbs! I know that everything is or should be in moderation, but what’s healthiest for the human body overall?!? Just wondering what people have to say or what tips you might have to help me with my weight loss journey again...
    Little about me:
    I’m a wife to a hard working mill man, mother of 3 girls, and a daycare teacher. My days are filled to the brim with stuff to do but not much time for working out. By the time I wake up (4:00 to send my husband of to work), get the girls ready for school, get myself ready to for work, work 8-5, drive home (30mins) cook supper, then clean up. It’s about 9:00 and I’m pooped! I do, most days, use my lunch hour to do grocery shopping. But I’m not sure how much that counts?
    Help! I need and want friends that will keep me accountable and are truly concerned with my progress!
    Thanks in advance!

So all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Start by just logging what you're currently eating, accurately and consistently, for at least a week. Then look back at those days - where did you waste calories? What foods filled you up and fit in your calorie goal well? What meals are the hardest for you to make smart decisions? Then plan your new healthy habits, one at a time, from there.

And check out these threads when you get a chance:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Welcome and good luck!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    “New here“ but joined 2011 with 209 posts? And a replica of another post by another user. Some odd things going on here
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    “New here“ but joined 2011 with 209 posts? And a replica of another post by another user. Some odd things going on here

Troll who forgot to switch accounts?