Calories or carbohydrates?

Options
What ones do I pay attention to while on MFP?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    What is your end goal?

to lose weight, it is all about calories in calories out. Eat at a calorie deficit regularly over time and you will lose weight. it doesn't matter what you eat.

for health and satiety you look at the macros. some do better with more fat, others feel better with more carbs. I try to get around the balance recommended at the baseline by MFP (though prioritize protein).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tmanross wrote: »

calories
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    For weight loss the only thing that matters is calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    For weight, calories.

I try to hit close to my protein goal every day. Fats I'm almost always over and carbs fall where they fall. It's more about nutrition for me, now. I've lost my weight and I am maintaining on the default macros, more or less.

50C/30F/20P
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Calories
  • missyelliott69
    missyelliott69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its always about calories, no matter what way you diet if you eat more calorties than you burn you'll gain weight and vice versa.

If you are counting carbs however and stay low carb or keto just doing that will automatically reduce your calorie intake.

But yes....calories is the king for weight loss
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tmanross wrote: »

Depends...if you are trying low carb you would want to watch both. If you're talking about losing weight, calories (energy) is what matters. Take in more calories than you expend and those excess calories are stored for later as body fat...it's like your backup generator. Consume fewer calories than you need and your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat to compensate for the energy deficiency.

Weight management has nothing to do with carbohydrates...they're just one of the three macro-nutrients.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight management.

Some people find that watching carbs helps them with appetite or cravings. Some people need to watch carbs because of medical issues (diabetes, others).

If those latter things matter to you, plus weight management, I'd suggest watching both until you see whether watching carbs automagically helps you manage calories, or not.