ARGH!!!! Temptation is EVERYWHERE. Including this Website!

Options
OMG, I can only laugh as I try and try to be honest and good with my eating and exercise. However, when logging my foods the advertisements that pop up, really? Its like a having a donut shop next to a Weight Watchers Clinic. You would think they can control some of them. Check out the pic...

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Ads come from your device or computer algorithm and have little to do with MFP. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The ads are google ads. Google generates them for you based on what it views to be most relevant to you based on the host of data the collect on you. Theoretically MFP could block certain categories that are more likely to generate ads like this. For example, here are the choices that Google Ads allows you to control in the food categories.

5fjitjxt4gsp.png

So would it be better if they blocked the deserts category? Possibly. But that could also block healthier and lower calorie desert options. Also, the more categories they block, the less competition there is for ad space on the site, reducing the rates for ads placed on the site. That reduces their revenue and at the end of the day MFP is a for profit business that Under Armour paid $475 million for, so they are not exactly looking for a lot of ways to reduce revenue.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    BTW you also have the ability to control the ads you see. If you over the ad, you will see a little "x" box in the corner. Click on it, and then click "stop seeing this ad". No more temptation.