Supplements for women

Options
2»

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »

I'd say 99% of the time I agree with that statement, HOWEVER, there are a couple of people out there who know their *kitten* and are legit. @coacheugeneteo is just phenomenal - exercises, nutrition, supplements, you name it the guy is a *kitten* legend. So much so that I forked money out to attend his workshop and it was worth every single penny.

True, there are a few exceptions out there! I was more referencing Instagram fitness models rather than professionals :)[/quote]

Ah yes - those model types are 100% *kitten*.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    The BCAAs also prevent me from being too sore the next day.

False. There are a multitude of great peer-reviewed, evidence-based research papers available that prove this claim made by supplement companies is simply not true. Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition is a good source of legitimate information, as is pubmed.

And once again, BCAA's are found in abundance in actual food. Assuming you are getting adequate nutrition overall, supplementing with them is throwing your money away on clever marketing and cute packaging.

• rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder. I probably don't need to, as I believe I'm meeting most of my daily protein needs through normal meals/snacks. However, from a mental standpoint, I feel better when I've taken it.

I realize it's probably just the placebo effect - but I'm completely fine with that. It's a negligible cost and calorie input for me, and it makes me feel better/stronger when I take it (whether it actually does, or whether it's all in my head, is fairly irrelevant to me, as the end result is the same either way).

As others have said, you don't need supplements to get lean/build muscle. As @JBanx256 mentioned, many of the claims by supplement companies may be false or over-exaggerated. But if you want to take some extra protein, it won't hurt either -assuming of course it doesn't make you blow your nutrition goals, sits well with your digestive system, you don't have pre-existing health issues, doesn't break the bank for you, etc (insert all health caveats here).

If you're specifically worried about bulking up, 1) Realize that's actually very difficult to do, as everyone else mentioned, and 2) Choose a lower-carb protein powder if you'd feel better about it and/or it fits your nutrition goals better.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well, *I've* gained some good info from this thread. So thanks, posters!