Time to eat

I dont know a clear answer, or if there even is one.. but wondering if when you eat matters, or if it just matters that your in a calorie deficit, for weightloss?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019

when you eat only matters in what makes you better able to keep to your goals.

calories in calories out. that's all that matters for weight loss.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Meal timing and meal frequency are preference things. Being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals is what matters for weight loss.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Nope, doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    When you eat doesn't matter for weight loss. CICO matters for weight loss. Meal timing is more about satiety and not feeling hungry all the time which can help you stick to your deficit. This is a pretty individualized thing. Bottom line though a calorie eaten at 5:00pm is still a calorie when eaten at 8:00pm, midnight, 2:00am, 6:00am, 1:00pm, or whatever time you choose to fill in there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Calories matter for weight loss.

Timing? I agree, doesn't matter for us regular folks (non-elite athletes) except for how it helps us feel full and happy.

Nutrition? Important, if you enjoy having long term good health. For most people, if obese, reducing weight is the most meaningful contribution to improved health.

Beyond that, it's still a really good health plan to eat a balanced, well-rounded diet that includes adequate protein, adequate healthy fats, and plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits for micronutrients and extra fiber.

Most people want to be healthy, not just thin.

Appropriate calories for weight management + balanced and well-rounded eating for nutrition** + fun activity for fitness = best odds of continuing long term good healthy.

** Balanced and well-rounded nutrition includes some treats, too - happiness is part of well-rounded health.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Meal timing only matters if eating at certain times makes you feel better or worse. If you don’t sleep well when you eat right before bed, then that’s not a good time to eat. If you need a little snack before a workout, then have one. As far as weight loss, meal timing doesn’t matter. Being in a calorie deficit is all you need.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Don't eat right before weigh-in. Other than that, don't worry about it.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    I'm down to now 1200cal. I have 4 x 300 calories a day as I find now I don't get starving as much a 2-3 bigger meals.
    1 - coffee, yoghurt, granola, blueberries,
    2 - lo-carb wrap with salad and protein.
    3 - fruit, veggie sticks, dip, cheese, more coffee
    4 - protein, salad/veg, rice cup