Energy sustaining diet

Options
Recently started a new job. It is high energy and involves a lot of walking (20,000+ steps a day) and moderate amount of climbing and lifting for 10-12 hours a day minimum. I am trying to find a diet that boosts my energy in the morning and sustains it throughout the day while still cutting calories. For breakfast tomorrow I am planning on a carnation instant breakfast, leftover cucumber salad and apple slices along with my coffee. Any suggestions for different meal ideas?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Just to find meals you like that fit your goals. Properly fueling yourself will give you all the energy you need, and eating to whatever number MFP gives you will already account for a deficit, so you'll be good there too.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Do you wear an activity tracker? With an increase of activity you may need to up your calories got energy (you can still be in a deficit)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    With that kind of activity, I would look for meals that are higher in calories and carbs. Set your activity level in MFP to very active (and even that may be too low for your expenditure). It's not uncommon with the sudden increase of activity to undereat, and that saps your energy pretty quickly. Your choice of breakfast is too low in calories for your activity, and I would add something to the shake like some cream or peanut butter if you still wish to have the shake, and use whole milk to prepare it. Alternatively, you could have a larger lunch or dinner or (and that helps with energy in my case) more frequent snacks.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For me, something a bit heavier like oatmeal or eggs and bacon would be much more sustaining.