Calorie counting

Options
Hi, Just looking for some advice please if anyone could help. I'm a 50 year old male with 18 percent body fat,I'm hoping to reduce it to being between 10-15 percent, the amount of calories this app is telling me to eat a day is 1700, I'm wondering is that the total amount even if you have exercised that day? As I would think I burn around an extra 200 calories weight training 3 times a week and 450 doing cardio 2-3 times a week? Or do i add the calories used up in the gym on to the 1700? Hope that makes sense? Thanks for any advice, Chris...

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Providing you input your stats right chose your activity level before exercise then yes any exercise you do you add in to the goal mfp gave you then eat a portion back. I say a portion because calorie burns can be over estimated most people start with around 50% and track their progress
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just looking for some advice please if anyone could help. I'm a 50 year old male with 18 percent body fat,I'm hoping to reduce it to being between 10-15 percent, the amount of calories this app is telling me to eat a day is 1700, I'm wondering is that the total amount even if you have exercised that day? As I would think I burn around an extra 200 calories weight training 3 times a week and 450 doing cardio 2-3 times a week? Or do i add the calories used up in the gym on to the 1700? Hope that makes sense? Thanks for any advice, Chris...

you should net your calorie goal, so if your goal is 1700 and you burn off 200, then you eat 1900.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yes, the MFP calorie goal assumes you will log your exercise and eat back some of those calories.

How much weight are you set to lose per week? 1700 cals is pretty low for a man trying to nudge down BF%. If you lose weight quickly, you are going to sacrifice more muscle than you'd want, which will slow down your progression BF% wise I would think.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    1rsjqhuypyal.jpg