It can’t all be calories in/out

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my husband burns every single calorie he eats. between a faster metabolism and very physical job, he burns all of it off.

everyone is different, but yes, in the end it IS all about CICO
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My dd weighed 86 lbs and ate whatever. I would have sworn she was eating a ton too. When she tracked her actual intake it was pretty obvious she needed to increase her calories to gain weight for her age and activity level. She increased calories and gained about 20 lbs over 6 months.
    Your roommate would gain weight if he ate too many calories for him. He just happens to eat enough to maintain his weight. He probably has high days and low days.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    ofc above link is CICO for healthy people, hyperthyroidism, or hypothyroidism affect gains - lose weight situation too.

By about 5%.

And *only* if the thyroid condition isn't treated adequately.

So having treated hypothyroidism wont affect weight loss any different than any one else?

As other have stated, this has <5% impact on metabolism. I have access to over 1.5 M data points from patients and found no BMR/REE readings outside of 5%.

The only "weight gain" associated with thyroid disorders is a temporary water weight increase - similar to TOM.

I have hashimotos. I lost just under 20lb when I first started responding to treatment without doing anything else. I know this was water weight, at least most if not all of it. I was close to 200lb at the time and always felt bloated plus my joints were swollen. I also know now, after years of playing with calorie goals and calculators, that my TDEE is about 200 calories a day below what most calculators estimate. It isn't a big difference. That said, when you're on that last 10-15lb with a deficit of 250 cals a day that 200 calorie difference can erase the deficit you thought you had.
  • joeterry2112
    joeterry2112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Short term. Especially by the day there are quite a few things that can affect your weight. You get constipated for a few days you would see your weight go up. Then you get unconstipated (Is that a word) and suddenly your weight will drop.

However, long term is truly calories in calories out. But do not forget all the effects on calories out.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    ofc above link is CICO for healthy people, hyperthyroidism, or hypothyroidism affect gains - lose weight situation too.

By about 5%.

And *only* if the thyroid condition isn't treated adequately.

So having treated hypothyroidism wont affect weight loss any different than any one else?

As other have stated, this has <5% impact on metabolism. I have access to over 1.5 M data points from patients and found no BMR/REE readings outside of 5%.

The only "weight gain" associated with thyroid disorders is a temporary water weight increase - similar to TOM.

Wow, sitting on so much data sounds like bliss! I envy you <3
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    When I lost most of my weight I had hashimotos, and it was not treated. No problem at all. Actually, for my weight, size, age and gender I get a meagre 1540kcal for daily maintenance. In reality my NEAT is more like 1750-1800. Finally being in Levo did a lot of good for me. But weight loss was not part of it. I was done with that before I started (and felt miserable).