Complain about this stupid belly fat!!

Options
Come join me to complain about our stupid stubborn belly fat.

I'm not giving up on my diet or anything, just extremely frustrated that my body does not want to give up the damn belly fat already!!
I'm down 45lbs! I do still have 55 or so to go so it's not like I'm close to my goal, but still... you would think the belly fat would've gone down more. NOPE!
Overall I've lost so my pant size has gone down 2 sizes, but the actual belly is still HUGE and bulbous and sticks out and BLAH!
I still look like I'm 6m pregnant and GRRRR... I just want to cut it off already. I just want to SEE my toes when I look down!
I'd really like to be able to do some exercises (even just bending over to reach my toes) without a giant damn belly getting in the way!
I know you can't lose in specific spots and your body is just going to lose where it loses.. which makes it all the more frustrating!
Stupid stomach fat... like that houseguest that doesn't realize they're overstaying their welcome... not that they were ever welcomed.

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Eurg I feel you I'm losing inches of my hips apparently (jeans fit that didn't before) but I put them on and I still have the stupid over hang of my stomach at the top bleurg
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I get your frustration. Have you been taking measurements? With having lost 45 lbs already (congrats on that by the way!), it is highly likely your belly has gone down some. Proportionately it may not have gone down as much as your hips/legs, which may be making it appear bigger. This is an area where we can't trust our eyes/brains to see things clearly. This is where taking measurements along the way helps you see progress that you wouldn't otherwise see.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I get your frustration. Have you been taking measurements? With having lost 45 lbs already (congrats on that by the way!), it is highly likely your belly has gone down some. Proportionately it may not have gone down as much as your hips/legs, which may be making it appear bigger. This is an area where we can't trust our eyes/brains to see things clearly. This is where taking measurements along the way helps you see progress that you wouldn't otherwise see.

I take measurements. Like I said, I've shrunken overall. I've gone down 2 pant sizes, but my belly is still as big as it was.. seemingly. OVERALL the area has gotten smaller, like smaller hips and back fat etc etc, but my stomach is still huge.
    My body definitely lost in my legs first.
    I take pictures as well and again... I can see a difference overall, but the belly still sticks out almost as much as it did before.

Just frustrating and venting :)

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »

I take measurements. Like I said, I've shrunken overall. I've gone down 2 pant sizes, but my belly is still as big as it was.. seemingly. OVERALL the area has gotten smaller, like smaller hips and back fat etc etc, but my stomach is still huge.
    My body definitely lost in my legs first.
    I take pictures as well and again... I can see a difference overall, but the belly still sticks out almost as much as it did before.

Just frustrating and venting :)

Like I said, I get it. We are always our own worst critics. It takes a while for our eyes/brains to see the transformations that are happening. I've got a lower belly pooch that I was hoping would be smaller once I hit my initial goal weight. Some days I can tolerate it, some days I hate it. I keep going back and forth on losing a bit more or just doing some recomp for a while. So far, recomp has been winning out because I keep snacking up to my maintenance calories. :disappointed:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The midsection is primary fat stores for most men and many women...it's a first on, last off kind of deal. If you've lost 2 pant sizes, it's definitely gone down. Mine went down along the way, but the biggest difference was my last 10-15 Lbs when I went from having a smaller, but still noticeable gut that stuck out and love handles to mostly flat with no love handles.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    That's the rub of it all... you really have to lose all your fat for it to leave where you really want. I think a lot of us would quit before goal if the fat we hated most was lost first. Maybe it is God's way of keeping us on course. :)
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I put 8lbs back on over the past year (2018 was the worst), and it went straight to my stomach. 2 inches around my waist, and 1.5 around my belly pooch area. I've lost 40lbs total (32 now) and those 8lbs put back on half the inches I lost in total. *grumbles*

2019 is already going a million times better though, so I will be saying goodbye to those pounds very soon.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The midsection is primary fat stores for most men and many women...it's a first on, last off kind of deal. If you've lost 2 pant sizes, it's definitely gone down. Mine went down along the way, but the biggest difference was my last 10-15 Lbs when I went from having a smaller, but still noticeable gut that stuck out and love handles to mostly flat with no love handles.

Yeah. I think that's what is going to happen for me. It's going to stay until the very last extra pounds are off.
    I'm in it until the end, but dang I wish it would go sooner lol.

That's the rub of it all... you really have to lose all your fat for it to leave where you really want. I think a lot of us would quit before goal if the fat we hated most was lost first. Maybe it is God's way of keeping us on course. :)

Lol, I've commented before that if we could all spot lose... we'd all be walking around with flat stomachs and fat everything else :P lol

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it's the area under the glutes, talk about tenacious! *shakes fist*
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've heard walking can help the belly area. Idk we're all built different and gain fat in different areas. I've heard the first place you started gaining is the last to lose I'm not sure it's TRUE though?
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    That's because fat is a *kitten* and knows where you want to lose the most, and makes sure that's the last to go. :)
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I felt like mine was still really soft even when I got to my goal weight. After recomping for a few months it really melted away. It's still not prefect, I have a little bit of really stubborn lower belly fat right above my c section scar. But in general it's pretty flat. So basically, hang in there it will come down with time and patience.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It may be the last to come off, mine most certainly was, but improving your posture, and strengthening your abdominal muscles can really help it look better as you are losing.

Not sure what your routine is at the moment, but lifting weights, Pilates, and yoga can help strengthen the underlying musculature and help you carry your excess belly fat better.

I’m really big on posture too.

Cheers, h.