MAINTAIN or GAIN?? Confused.....

Options
OK, so probably a stupid question (im still learning about macro's etc)....but I don't understand my next steps in regard to gaining or maintaining.

In 3 months I dropped 22lbs...i was unhappy with my size and the weight loss made me happy with my size.
I then hit the gym....on a 5 day schedule rotating light weights and cardio. Weight was pretty stable..losing a few lbs here and there...although i wasnt enjoying the gym and I wasn't eating a healthy diet....i was eating WAY too little and was miserable. Fast forward to now....I have a trainer, I do 5 days a week pure weights/resistance, track my macro's and LOVE the gym again.

My goal is to get stronger and build defined muscle. My weight is 125lbs, my BF is 20%.
Over the last 8 weeks I have seen an improvement in strength and am lifting heavier or longer almost every session. I can see improved muscle definition. However, my weight and body fat have stayed the same over these 8 weeks.

So to continue seeing results...should i be trying to MAINTAIN weight or GAIN weight?
I dont understand how my stats haven't changed but my performance and 'look' has changed.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what you are doing. Maintaining while lifting is called recomp (to build muscle and lose fat over a long period of time).
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would keep doing what you are doing. Maintaining while lifting is called recomp (to build muscle and lose fat over a long period of time).

I agree, continue with the recomp. How are you measuring your bodyfat%? It is incredibly difficult to get an accurate measure on that, and I would suggest taking progress pictures because that will help you see the change over time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your weight is the same and you are seeing improved muscle definition it's pretty clear that your method of estimating body fat isn't accurate. Progress pictures and tape measurements would be a better idea.

Unless you want to gain weight then continue to maintain and recomp.
  • K_EDSwarrior
    K_EDSwarrior Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If your weight is the same and you are seeing improved muscle definition it's pretty clear that your method of estimating body fat isn't accurate. Progress pictures and tape measurements would be a better idea.

Am just using a body fat monitor (that calculates using bio-impedance)...so yep, quite possible its not accurate. But I figure as long as i continue to use the same measure method, at least i can trust the incline/decline trend, no?

Yep, am taking pictures too..but cant believe I didn't think to take measurements!! Will start doing that, thanks.
  • sijomial
    Options

Am just using a body fat monitor (that calculates using bio-impedance)...so yep, quite possible its not accurate. But I figure as long as i continue to use the same measure method, at least i can trust the incline/decline trend, no?

Yep, am taking pictures too..but cant believe I didn't think to take measurements!! Will start doing that, thanks.

"But I figure as long as i continue to use the same measure method, at least i can trust the incline/decline trend, no?"

More like maybe rather than no or yes.
    I've used a variety of different ones and a couple of 4 sensor models (domestic and commercial with hand & foot pads) and they gave a believable trend over time but with some really poor data points along the way.
    I've also used some 2 sensor ones that were just completely hopeless. I've got some that very consistently tell me I'm 33% bodyfat (I sincerely hope they are wrong anyway!).

Using them under very consistent conditions (feeding, exercising, hydration levels, time of day) certainly helps even out the trend line.
  • K_EDSwarrior
    K_EDSwarrior Posts: 17 Member
    Options

"But I figure as long as i continue to use the same measure method, at least i can trust the incline/decline trend, no?"

I've used a variety of different ones and a couple of 4 sensor models (domestic and commercial with hand & foot pads) and they gave a believable trend over time but with some really poor data points along the way.
    I've also used some 2 sensor ones that were just completely hopeless. I've got some that very consistently tell me I'm 33% bodyfat (I sincerely hope they are wrong anyway!).

Using them under very consistent conditions (feeding, exercising, hydration levels, time of day) certainly helps even out the trend line.

Something to think about....i used to work for Tanita who make body fat monitors and their professional (and high end personal machines) had what they called 'athlete mode' for people who have more dense muscle tissue as the dense muscle creates a resistance to the bio-impedance in the same way fat does. This doesn't apply to me (as i don't have that level of muscle, but it may explain your results if they seem high. Just a thought.
  • sijomial
    Options

Something to think about....i used to work for Tanita who make body fat monitors and their professional (and high end personal machines) had what they called 'athlete mode' for people who have more dense muscle tissue as the dense muscle creates a resistance to the bio-impedance in the same way fat does. This doesn't apply to me (as i don't have that level of muscle, but it may explain your results if they seem high. Just a thought.

"Athlete mode" - I think these days I may need "old fart mode" but thank you. :smiley: