Meal replacement shakes

Options
Hey guys, pretty new here and diet world over all. What Meal rep shake you can suggest and best way to prepare (milk water etc)? (Kids, work hacked life always on the go)

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat a meal replacement shake. Just consume fewer calories than you burn.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    is there a reason you are looking for meal replacement shake? do you think you need to eat them to lose weight or because you don't have time to eat/prepare meals?
  • Gl3ndi
    Gl3ndi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories this week. I was wondering for those rush days that meal planing is a little hard. 1200 calorie goal trying to stay under that amount.
  • Panini911
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Gl3ndi wrote: »
    I started counting calories this week. I was wondering for those rush days that meal planing is a little hard. 1200 calorie goal trying to stay under that amount.

you want to eat at least 1200 plus exercise calories. Did you select a rate of loss of 2lbs/week?

I eat quick meals suchas:
    - vegetables, tuna+crackers, small piece of chocolate
    - boiled eggs, vegatables, laughing cow cheese, home made protein bar (I make 16 ahead of time, put in freezer and - grab and go).
    - i make a big batch of soup (easy to make) and then freeze in portions. just warm up. with vegetables, a protein (cottage cheese, ham slices, whatever).

i meal prep on weekends. even vegetables can be washed/peeled and ready to go. make a batch of eggs...
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I used Slim Fast with great success, I only had 10 or 15 lbs to lose, so it worked really well for keeping my calories low as there wasn't a lot of wiggle room. I'm not sure how well I could do it now, but don't worry about the naysayers, it will work for you or you'll move on to something else. I used milk, and think I replaced my lunch only with a few crackers added on as they are stodgy and make me feel like I've eaten enough.
  • Gl3ndi
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

you want to eat at least 1200 plus exercise calories. Did you select a rate of loss of 2lbs/week?

- boiled eggs, vegatables, laughing cow cheese, home made protein bar (I make 16 ahead of time, put in freezer and - grab and go).
    - i make a big batch of soup (easy to make) and then freeze in portions. just warm up. with vegetables, a protein (cottage cheese, ham slices, whatever).

i meal prep on weekends. even vegetables can be washed/peeled and ready to go. make a batch of eggs...

I did select 2 lbs/do sounds really good the soup idea and protein on the go!
  • Gl3ndi
    Options
    ms_true wrote: »
    Some years ago I used Slim Fast with great success, I only had 10 or 15 lbs to lose, so it worked really well for keeping my calories low as there wasn't a lot of wiggle room. I'm not sure how well I could do it now, but don't worry about the naysayers, it will work for you or you'll move on to something else. I used milk, and think I replaced my lunch only with a few crackers added on as they are stodgy and make me feel like I've eaten enough.

That is my biggest struggle, lunch time. Thanks you
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I found Slim Fast was particularly delicious with Girl Scout cookies. You can have both and lose weight if you keep the total daily calories down. I'm having better luck this round with healthy meals.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    drinking calories is usually pretty unsatisfying...most people will feel fuller for the same calories of solid food. Stuff like yogurt cups, food/protein bars, cheese, peanut butter are extremely quick to grab with 0 prep required.
  • Gl3ndi
    Options
    That is what most people tell me, the mind tells you you haven't eaten and wind up eating again...
    ritzvin wrote: »
    drinking calories is usually pretty unsatisfying...most people will feel fuller for the same calories of solid food. Stuff like yogurt cups, food/protein bars, cheese, peanut butter are extremely quick to grab with 0 prep required.

• Panini911
    Options

you mention in the other post having only 40 to lose, you may really want to consider going with 1 or 1.5lb/week loss
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I use prepared shakes for the odd occasion I am on the go. If I'm truly in too big of a hurry to make some kind of food, I don't want to mix a shake either. I use Special K Protein shakes, they aren't too high in calories (190) with 15g of protein, I only like French Vanilla flavor; I got hooked on them when I had GD. They will tide me over until I get some real food. I also use Orgain grass fed whey protein shakes if I can't eat directly after working out (like if I'm running errands after). 140 calories and 20g protein. Packs well for after the gym.

Otherwise if I've got time to measure out and mix up a shake that has to be prepared, I could just as easily make a quick meal. I like the idea of meal prep but I'm not quite up to weekend meal prep yet. I often make an additional portion or two with dinner though for a meal during the week. I picked up some divided meal prep containers at Walmart, 5 for less than $3, they are great for making ahead a lunch or two when I'm plating dinner. I do them for me and my husband. I'll be having spaghetti and veg tomorrow for lunch that was last night's dinner (also makes the tracking easy if you do the same portions, just copy the meal!)
  • Gl3ndi
    Options

you mention in the other post having only 40 to lose, you may really want to consider going with 1 or 1.5lb/week loss

Yesss I was weighed today and went up 4 pounds so trying to get back on track. I just saw a challlenge of 5 a month... I think thats more realistic for me
  • Gl3ndi
    Options
    I use prepared shakes for the odd occasion I am on the go. If I'm truly in too big of a hurry to make some kind of food, I don't want to mix a shake either. I use Special K Protein shakes, they aren't too high in calories (190) with 15g of protein, I only like French Vanilla flavor; I got hooked on them when I had GD. They will tide me over until I get some real food. I also use Orgain grass fed whey protein shakes if I can't eat directly after working out (like if I'm running errands after). 140 calories and 20g protein. Packs well for after the gym.

Otherwise if I've got time to measure out and mix up a shake that has to be prepared, I could just as easily make a quick meal. I like the idea of meal prep but I'm not quite up to weekend meal prep yet. I often make an additional portion or two with dinner though for a meal during the week. I picked up some divided meal prep containers at Walmart, 5 for less than $3, they are great for making ahead a lunch or two when I'm plating dinner. I do them for me and my husband. I'll be having spaghetti and veg tomorrow for lunch that was last night's dinner (also makes the tracking easy if you do the same portions, just copy the meal!)[/qume]

love the idea Thank you!!
  • Panini911
    edited February 2019
    Options

Yesss I was weighed today and went up 4 pounds so trying to get back on track. I just saw a challlenge of 5 a month... I think thats more realistic for me

you likely didn't put on 4pds. weight goes up and down daily due to water retention and food passing thru your body (and probably other stuff). if you started to exercise more your muscles may be retaining water. my weight fluctuates up to 4pds or more withing a given day depending when i weigh myself.

i use a weight trending app and weigh myself in similarly weight clothes around the same time daily and put the info in the app (some people find daily weighting un-motiviating so you can do it weekly). i ignore any given day's weight and keep my eye on the overall trend over the weeks. if it's trending down the way i want then i am on the right track.

be careful wtih challenges. someone who is obese and has over 100lbs to lose CAN easily and safely lose 2 (or sometimes more)lbs a week. but as we lose the weight and get closer to goal we need to reduce the rate loss because 2lbs/week is no longer safe. I think they recommend no more than 1% of your body weight in loss.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

In what time period did you gain four pounds? Unless you are either a) talking about a fairly extended period of time or b) certain that you have been dramatically exceeding your calorie goal recently, you didn't gain four pounds of fat. Everyone's weight fluctuates every day for reasons that have nothing to do with fat gain/loss, and if you gained four pounds in a short time, it's not fat unless you have been eating considerably more than your maintenance calorie goal.

Weight loss "challenges" don't take into account your body's own needs. Just because there is a challenge to lose 5 pounds a month does not mean it's a good idea for you to do so. These things also assume weight loss is linear, which is not the case.
  • Gl3ndi
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

In what time period did you gain four pounds? Unless you are either a) talking about a fairly extended period of time or b) certain that you have been dramatically exceeding your calorie goal recently, you didn't gain four pounds of fat. Everyone's weight fluctuates every day for reasons that have nothing to do with fat gain/loss, and if you gained four pounds in a short time, it's not fat unless you have been eating considerably more than your maintenance calorie goal.

Weight loss "challenges" don't take into account your body's own needs. Just because there is a challenge to lose 5 pounds a month does not mean it's a good idea for you to do so. These things also assume weight loss is linear, which is not the case.

Interesting! I gained it in a 2 month period. I fell of the wagon I just started getting back on track this week. Trying to find the best way to do it.
  • Gl3ndi
    Options

you likely didn't put on 4pds. weight goes up and down daily due to water retention and food passing thru your body (and probably other stuff). if you started to exercise more your muscles may be retaining water. my weight fluctuates up to 4pds or more withing a given day depending when i weigh myself.

i use a weight trending app and weigh myself in similarly weight clothes around the same time daily and put the info in the app (some people find daily weighting un-motiviating so you can do it weekly). i ignore any given day's weight and keep my eye on the overall trend over the weeks. if it's trending down the way i want then i am on the right track.

be careful wtih challenges. someone who is obese and has over 100lbs to lose CAN easily and safely lose 2 (or sometimes more)lbs a week. but as we lose the weight and get closer to goal we need to reduce the rate loss because 2lbs/week is no longer safe. I think they recommend no more than 1% of your body weight in loss.

Thank you! Makes me feel less stress over losing weight as I keep reading what you all have to say