Soup☺️

2»

Replies

• corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    I incorporate green leafy vegetables like Swiss Chard or Kale. I used to say "ewe" but if it has the stems removed, is sliced into bite size pieces and simmered until tender it tastes great and is filling. 1 or 2 cups has around 3 to 6 grams of carbs but 300 to 500 mg of potassium.
  • MandyKat1
    MandyKat1 Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve made these two soups recently.

Black Bean Soup
    https://tasty.co/recipe/healthy-hearty-black-bean-soup
    Honestly the best black bean soup I’ve ever had and 1 serving (big) was about 300 calories!

Cabbage Fat Burning Soup
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13116/cabbage-fat-burning-soup/
    I was skeptical about this one. I remember my mom making it when I was in high school so we could do the “cabbage soup diet” and it wasn’t great but this version has great flavor. I throw a few red pepper flakes in too and it gives it a good kick. I don’t eat it 24/7 but it’s nice on a cold day or when you know you’re going to have a higher calorie meal later in the day.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    No soup in this house. My mother stopped doing it, and my wife never started.
  • corrarjo
    Who feeds you? :)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Made this last week. Was STUNNED by how good it was.

Here’s the ‘real’ recipe (pretty sure someone else posted this in a soup thread) that inspired my hacks:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/thai-red-chicken-soup/

Super Freaking Easy 5+ ingredient Chicken Red Curry Soup
    (stolen from Jamie Oliver and UpGraded)

Critical Ingredients:
    1 whole free-range chicken
    1 butternut squash
    1 bunch of fresh cilantro
    100 g Mae Ploy Massaman curry paste (or a giant blob)
    1 x can coconut cream (Savoy or similar - 70% coconut, water, no weird stuff)
    Nice-to-have:
    1 can chickpeas
    Optional toppings if you are feeling fancy:
    Baby kale or chopped Grown-up Kale
    Avocado
    Chopped nuts

Prep:
    -Stem the cilantro. Roughly chop the leaves for garnish, then toss the cilantro stems, a bit of water and the red curry paste into the blender. Blend to liquid.

-Slice, seed & cube the squash; add ½ of squash to large soup pot. (Don’t bother peeling - just wash it well first.)

-Roast remaining ½ of squash cubes on an oiled sheet pan, 400-ish, to golden (I seasoned the roasted cubes with OO, S/P, TJ’s everyday seasoning)

(Meanwhile, back at the farm…)

Put Whole chicken in giant soup pot. Add the cilantro-curry slurry, the can of coconut cream, and garbanzos (if using.) Add about a liter of water.

Cook the whole mess on medium-ish for 1hr10 mins. Remove the chicken, de-bone it & pull meat.

Add the roasted squash cubes to the soup. Hand-mash the soup to ‘uneven chunky-ish’ or use a stick blender to puree it silky smooth - your call. (I opted for hand-mashed and chunky, crushed just enough so that the beans and squash thickened it nicely.)

Add the chicken back to the soup or serve them side by side and let people ‘protein up’ as desired.

Serve with chopped cilantro leaves, kale/greens, avocado, and toasted nuts.

(I did a homemade Dukkah-inspired thing for nuts: pan toast pepitas, almonds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and flax seeds. Put them in a ziplock bag and crush, or use M/P to crush.)
  • corrarjo
    How do you get your calories from a mixture of foods like this? I am having a lot of trouble with that. Say I make veggie soup - how do I know that the ones I get to choose from have the same ingredients as mine since they are all different themselves?

Personally, I choose my ingredients based on their nutritional value. If you use the recipe feature in MFP you can "build" your soup and adjust the ingredients and amounts until you have a winning recipe. You can choose food items from the food database or scan ingredients that have a bar code. If you don't have the ingredients on hand, you can scan them at the supermarket the next time you go shopping.
  • I am obsessed with soup. My favorite so far has been my take on Olive Gardens Zuppa Tuscana.
    I use Turkey sausage instead of regular, and turnips instead of potatoes. Add in those red pepper flakes to help speed up your metabolism and bam...so good and good for you compared to the original
  • corrarjo
    edited February 2019
    Beef and barley stew.

More like a thick, savory soup. Made with beef shank, chicken stock and assorted veggies. Adjust the barley to control the carb content. Grate some fresh horseradish over it at presentation. Contains a boatload of potassium.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Taco Soup is my favorite right now. I make it in the crockpot. Cook ground turkey with a taco seasoning packet and add that to your crockpot. Then add one cream cheese cube, one can of chicken broth, two cans of Rotel. Cook for two hours on high or four hours on low. This gets me through the week for lunch. You can top it off with cheddar cheese. You can also double the recipe to make more. Some like to add a packet of ranch dry mix but I haven't tried it yet.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    Cream of Asparagus Soup - i top it off with roasted asparagus. It's delicious: https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/cream-of-asparagus-soup/
    c49h6e72wrsw.jpg
  • corrarjo
    Minestrone soup. With the exception of the bacon and pasta, it's all veggies. I made 1 cup servings, bagged, and froze it.

Bacon, Onion, Celery, Garlic, Cabbage, Crushed tomato, Kale, Garbanzo beans, Ditalini

3 strips (3oz) of bacon, and 3/4 cup of pasta spread out over 10 servings.

125 calories, 20 carbs, 5 sugar, per 1 cup serving.

Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.

9blsbr1c5jr3.jpeg

• Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    edited March 2019
    I've used this one quite often. It's really easy, stores well (it's a large recipe) and is vegetarian with some added instructions on how to make it different by using other ingredients like seafood or beef/chicken/turkey. It contains no additives or packaged ingredients except whatever type of broth you decide to use. I use vegetable broth instead of chicken to make it 100% vegetarian. It tastes great and is really healthy.
    https://goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a8327/soup-diet-basic-recipe-ghk1007/
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If I want soup I simply get this. Very very very good.

ProdImage_CurriedCauli_Eng.png

...and at less than half a can (one serving 250ml - one cup) you are consuming 480mg of sodium, more than you need in such a small serving. This is why canned/prepared soup taste good...loaded with sodium.

Additionally none of the ingredients are organic or non-GMO. If you make your own soup you have the option of using organic and non-GMO vegetables, a far better choice.

Plus, making your own is much cheaper than buying several cans of prepared soup...Oh and finally, this soup contains modified corn starch and dairy (cream) which makes it non-vegan.

There are much much much better soups out there.....
  • corrarjo
    We need salt to retain enough water to stave off dehydration. The fiber we consume needs the water to keep our "pipes" clean. My problem with too much salt is too much water retention and increased blood volume, causing my feet and ankles to swell and my blood pressure to rise.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    I think I need to make a big batch of veggie soup this weekend, I have jaw problems and my jaw is hurting from munching on so many raw veggies!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Made a dead simple lentil soup for lunch today.

One onion
    3 large carrots chopped
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    A good squeeze of tomato paste
    A cup or si of red lentils
    Some extra water (about 3/4 pint this time)
    Bay leaf and generous quantity of herbs (i did oregano) and seasoning

Lightly fry onion, add all other ingredients (wash the lentils in a sieve before adding) bring to boil then gently simmer for c30/40 minutes. So 5 mins prep and then pretty much ignore!

I had it chunky today. Tomorrow I might blend. Friday I will probably add some chilli or paprika and posdibly some red kidney beans.
  • zkevinzwalshz
    zkevinzwalshz Posts: 1 Member
    not all of us are chefs,,,,a load of mushrooms and chicken threw into a blender with water, simple :) very nice :)
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo wrote: »
    Beef and barley stew.

More like a thick, savory soup. Made with beef shank, chicken stock and assorted veggies. Adjust the barley to control the carb content. Grate some fresh horseradish over it at presentation. Contains a boatload of potassium.

Made it again today. Here's a picture.

ijcr3wa4kqmr.jpeg