Preschool teacher!

Options
Any teachers out there? I work preschool and find it hard to maintain good habits with the stress of the job or general busyness.i also struggle with healthy lunch options and snacks. I'm a brown bagger btw. I set my mgk goals and I am ready to make changes and finish my weight loss. Just need to get past the issues of my job so I can be healthy 😁 any tips? Appreciated

Replies

• piercekristy875
    piercekristy875 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mfp.** auto correct πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher. Cafeteria lunches are packed with calories. I have breakfast at home and bring my own lunch. I had to come to grips with the fact that I was a stress eater at work. Once I dealt with that, eating wasn't so much of an issue. Avoid the lounge - you know it's full of *kitten* food ALL the time.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Former preschool teacher here: I hear the struggle. I think start by focusing on packing healthy lunches and snack options so you have everything set up for your success. Sounds like you're avoiding the cafeteria, so build on that. (I lived on a lot of portion controlled frozen lunches). Have great snack options for those times you can't eat your lunch...protein bars, for example. Have snacks that keep you on track (popcorn is a good one). Treat YOURSELF like you have an IEP for yourself...what are your needs, and how will you meet those needs?
  • piercekristy875
    Options
    Former preschool teacher here: I hear the struggle. I think start by focusing on packing healthy lunches and snack options so you have everything set up for your success. Sounds like you're avoiding the cafeteria, so build on that. (I lived on a lot of portion controlled frozen lunches). Have great snack options for those times you can't eat your lunch...protein bars, for example. Have snacks that keep you on track (popcorn is a good one). Treat YOURSELF like you have an IEP for yourself...what are your needs, and how will you meet those needs?

We actually don't have one. I eat the kids snacks when I am hungry and we gave birthdays where kids or staff have cakes or cupcakes. I love party days. Or days when someone leaves πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­. Always food. But luckily if I plan well I can eat better
  • piercekristy875
    Options
    I'm a teacher. Cafeteria lunches are packed with calories. I have breakfast at home and bring my own lunch. I had to come to grips with the fact that I was a stress eater at work. Once I dealt with that, eating wasn't so much of an issue. Avoid the lounge - you know it's full of *kitten* food ALL the time.

Omg I'm such a stress eater. With parents kids behavior kids not listening. It can be hard to deal. Today I played a clean up song to avoid yelling at kids. They hate clean up but need incentive to clean
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

We actually don't have one. I eat the kids snacks when I am hungry and we gave birthdays where kids or staff have cakes or cupcakes. I love party days. Or days when someone leaves πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­. Always food. But luckily if I plan well I can eat better

Typically "kid snacks" are high carb foods (pretzels, saltines, graham crackers) and often high sugar as well. It's actually not all that good for the kids, but worse for adults typically because usually we aren't as physically active. So DEFINITELY plan your snacks...and make them higher protein and/or high fiber (carrot sticks and hummus, lite string cheese and apple, high protein yogurt, boiled egg, etc.)

As for the cupcake/cake/treat things, if you know ahead of time (kid birthday/staff leaving) simply plan your calories accordingly if you really cannot resist the cupcake. A small cupcake once or twice a month isn't too bad. It's harder with the unexpected baked goods that show up --- and educators tend to like to bake...it's just a fact. I find the '4 bite approach' is helpful. 4 bites are about how much it takes to really mindfully enjoy something. It still might make a hit on your overall calorie plan, but better 4 bites than 14.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Perhaps remind yourself that the kids' snacks are there for the kids, not you.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    ITA I was a teacher as well- but i learned early on NOt to eat lunches- well except thanksgiving and Christmas- who can resist stuffing and turkey. Anyway I brought my lunches and bring snacks- i like 100 calorie packs of nuts, if I want a cookie too- then the 100 calorie packs are at least portion control- raisins, veggies and hummus etc. We walk a lot but I do more at home- or even get a fitbit and this may make you want ot move. With preschool- you can have movement time built into the day- PS don't worry about party days unless they become everyday! lol You can do it
  • piercekristy875
    Options

Perhaps remind yourself that the kids' snacks are there for the kids, not you.

I hate that I eat what they eont. Cheese ball day. Eyeroll
  • piercekristy875
    Options
    Wont*
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I’m a teacher! I pack 150 calories of oatmeal each day for lunch with a tablespoon of peanut butter for an additional 90 calories. I don’t allow any snacks whatsoever in my room or at school. If treats are brought in for the teachers I usually take it home so I can purposefully account for the snack at a later time unless I’m certain it fits in the day’s calories. I am also intermittently fasting so I only eat from 11-7 each day so no temptation to eat prior to lunch anyways.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I take my lunch everyday. Usually salad with lunch meat, roasted veggies and a protein, or homemade chicken vegetable soup. I also bring an apple or crisp veggie, protein bar or Kay's natural snack. I keep Crystal light type single drink mixes for my water in the afternoon.