Ketosis dieters

Hi I'm Trina new to the group. I'm a vegetarian/vegan and I'm trying to do the ketos diet. I'm struggling to reach 1200 cal without a high sodium count. Do anyone have any suggestions

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi I'm Trina new to the group. I'm a vegetarian/vegan and I'm trying to do the ketos diet. I'm struggling to reach 1200 cal without a high sodium count. Do anyone have any suggestions

its going to be pretty hard to eat low carb as a vegan or vegetarian. is there a medical reason you want to limit carbs so dramatically?
  • vbpunati
    vbpunati Posts: 1 Member
    Hi , I am Bharati .I too am on a Keto diet. Doc recommended. have trouble coming up with filling recipes.
    my macros are 60 grms protien, 20 grms carbs and rest is fat. what are your macros
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

I don't do keto, but I believe you need to eat higher sodium while doing keto. While doing keto as a vegan is doable, it is highly restrictive, is there a reason you are choosing keto? Perhaps start out just doing lower carb than you were previously, and see how it goes from there. You certainly don't want to end up under-eating.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I'm confused. You can't be vegetarian & vegan at the same time. Vegan would be highly restrictive with keto diet (unless you really love avocado). Vegetarian would be doable with keto. Why have you chosen keto to lose weight when you could do this without being highly restrictive and a having a reasonable weight loss (0.5-1 pound a week for most) calorie goal?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    The initial days of very low carb consumption allow the body to burn through stored glycogen. Glycogen is a large molecule which travels with hundreds of little water molecules attached to it. When that glycogen is burned for energy, all that water is released. The kidneys work to maintain proper hydration levels, and all that extra water is excreted. The kidneys do not excrete fresh water. They excrete salt water. All that salt was being used by your body for a multitude of necessary life functions, but now that you've gone keto that precious salt has been pissed away. Bummer. Eat more salt.

There is no getting around it. Eating low carbs loses ions of sodium, magnesium, and potassium in the initial phase of reaching ketosis by burning through stored glycogen.

The variety of vegetarian/vegan food choices which can serve a keto plan is extremely limited. There are avocados. And then there are more avocados. Blackberries, in low volume, and leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and a few other highly nutritious very low calorie leaves are also available in limited quantity.

It cannot be stressed too strongly that to do keto you should consider allowing yourself to be at least ovo/vegetarian or ovo/vegan.