Am I not giving cardio the due importance it requires with respect to weight training?

Options
Hey folks,
I’ve just started training after a year long hiatus (during which I’ve put on almost 10 kilos lost previously). My plan is to train 7 days a week - go all out, and it’s been good and manageable so far. I begin my session warming up, doing a few stretches and pull ups (assisted). I then do a 7 minute cardio on the elliptical set at highest incline. That’s pretty much all the cardio I get during the week. 7 minutes multiples by 6; a 40 minute cardio session on day 7 paired against abs and oblique workout.

I now have concerns if I’m going mild over the cardio.

The goal is to go down from weighing 83 now to 70 kgs, losing a huge chunk of fat (accumulated over thighs, buttocks and the sides).

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Dupe thread.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Most your workouts should be in a range that you can carry on a conversation without getting out of breath. Add in one or two HIIT sessions per week and give yourself some rest. On rest days work other parts of the body. For instance, I run on Mondays - slow, Tuesday is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Wednesday either rest or lift weights and work core, Thursday Tempo run - 80% of my max, Friday rest or Lift weights and work core, Saturday a fast run and Sunday a long slow run. This gives me time to rest with no hard cardio next to another. I'm 55 and this keeps me from getting injured. I've been doing this for 6 weeks and I've lost 10 lbs so far. I'm also keeping my calories under what MFP recommends for my height, weight and goal of 1 lb. per week.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Dupe thread.

I will not be duped, then.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't necessary for weight loss. It is good for your cardiovascular health so doing some is a good idea. With cardio I prefer to do things that are enjoyable to me like biking, swimming, hiking, and dancing. Cardio doesn't have to be done indoors on machines. And 7 days a week is too much, your body needs rest and recovery.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I like my Telomeres as long as possible. Lifting is very important for functional fitness as we age (everyone should both lift and do cardio) but cardio has some undeniable anti-aging benefits. Longer duration workouts (runner's call it Long Slow day) and HIIT workouts have been shown to stave off cellular aging.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/well/move/is-aerobic-exercise-the-key-to-successful-aging.html

• ArshadAhamed
    ArshadAhamed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses.