Planning 10 Year Wedding Anniv. -Where in the world to go? Suggestions?

Options
AmyC2288
AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
edited February 2019 in Chit-Chat
Hi All!

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary coming up in June, and are trying to plan out a 2nd Honeymoon type trip. We never really had a 1st real honeymoon to begin with, so we want this to be really special.

We have both made it into our 30's without having ever left the country (U.S) or traveled much AT ALL. I've never even flown on a plane and he hasn't since he was a young child.

The problem? We cannot figure out where in the world to go! The idea of a cruise doesn't appeal to either of us so that's pretty much out, but other than that we are open to literally anything!

Right now we're considering doing an all inclusive resort type thing somewhere tropical but mainly because that just seems like the easiest and most include a transfer to and from the airport so we wouldn't have to deal with a rental car at all.

So- do you guys have any suggestions for us? Have you been on an awesome vacation before that you would recommend? We love to do fun outdoorsy activities like zip-lining, hiking, waterfall tours, fishing excursions, etc. We are planning to travel in June and live in North Carolina.

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    We were in Montego Bay Jamaica just a few weeks ago. It was gorgeous, amazing and we had the best time. Tons to do all over Jamaica. Our layover was in Charlotte so you would be able to hop on a plane in Charlotte and be in Jamaica in less than 3 hours. We went through a travel agent, they gave us all our options. We picked an all inclusive and the travel agent set up all our transfers, etc. Easy peasy.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Go to Greece! And June is the best time to go too! You won’t be disappointed. Where you should go, would depend on the stuff you two like to do.

Never-mind, you included that, forgive me I am on a call as well. Okay, so Greece probably isn’t a good spot for your hobbies. Least not where I went, but Hawaii would be perfect!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    What do you enjoy doing in your free time? Are you foodies...do you like to have adventures...do you enjoy the beach or the mountains more...are you into art or wine or history or thrill rides? What have you done in the past when you got away for a weekend that you have great memories of? I used to be a travel agent and these are the first questions I would ask you. If you like being by the pool with drinks and enjoy beach destinations, an all inclusive is a great vacation. If you are choosing that just because it seems easiest, there are unlimited options available to you. You mention that you like outdoorsy activities so I would start there.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For my wife and I's ten year we walked from Mexico to Canada.

It gave us lots of opportunity to tour wine country, see little ski towns, get several cool summits in, pancfor gold in the klammath see the dessert.

It was pretty perfect.

Maybe something like that, or a smaller version?

Another memorable one is the glass topped train through british Columbia. Trains in the usa give people a bad impression... it's really a great experience.
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    We were in Montego Bay Jamaica just a few weeks ago. It was gorgeous, amazing and we had the best time. Tons to do all over Jamaica. Our layover was in Charlotte so you would be able to hop on a plane in Charlotte and be in Jamaica in less than 3 hours. We went through a travel agent, they gave us all our options. We picked an all inclusive and the travel agent set up all our transfers, etc. Easy peasy.

Sounds wonderful! We are definitely looking at Jamaica and there as tons of all inclusives there. I'll go back and check out Montego Bay again! Lots of reviews for places in Jamaica say that when you're out on the beach that the locals are constantly approaching to buy weed or some other types of goods they've had and that it took away from the relaxation. Also, in general for all-inclusives it seems like a trend that the resort tries to constantly push timeshare presentations on you- did that happen to you guys at all?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    For my wife and I's ten year we walked from Mexico to Canada.

It gave us lots of opportunity to tour wine country, see little ski towns, get several cool summits in, pancfor gold in the klammath see the dessert.

It was pretty perfect.

Maybe something like that, or a smaller version?

Another memorable one is the glass topped train through british Columbia. Trains in the usa give people a bad impression... it's really a great experience.

You WALKED from Mexico to Canada? How long did this take? I am intrigued. LOL.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    All inclusive is amazing, the Dominican republic, or I have heard Costa Rica, avoid Cancun, it was way too commercialized (at least for me) I'm going to Playa Del Carmen next week so I will update you when I get back. Aruba is beautiful, but there are not many all inclusives to choose from. Also I have always wanted to go to Bora Bora but that is a REALLY long plane ride, and also REALLY expensive. Good luck, and congrats on 10 years!!
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Awesome suggestions! I like the idea of working with a travel agent so I will probably look into that! I'm making a list of options to discuss with my husband! :blush:
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    All inclusive is amazing, the Dominican republic, or I have heard Costa Rica, avoid Cancun, it was way too commercialized (at least for me) I'm going to Playa Del Carmen next week so I will update you when I get back. Aruba is beautiful, but there are not many all inclusives to choose from. Also I have always wanted to go to Bora Bora but that is a REALLY long plane ride, and also REALLY expensive. Good luck, and congrats on 10 years!!

I've heard that about Cancun for sure! Costa Rica and DR are also on our radar. Yes, please let me know how your trip is and I hope you have a great time!
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »

I've heard that about Cancun for sure! Costa Rica and DR are also on our radar. Yes, please let me know how your trip is and I hope you have a great time!

Will do for sure, and thank you :smile:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Sounds wonderful! We are definitely looking at Jamaica and there as tons of all inclusives there. I'll go back and check out Montego Bay again! Lots of reviews for places in Jamaica say that when you're out on the beach that the locals are constantly approaching to buy weed or some other types of goods they've had and that it took away from the relaxation. Also, in general for all-inclusives it seems like a trend that the resort tries to constantly push timeshare presentations on you- did that happen to you guys at all?

There were floating flea markets (that's what they call them) once you tell them no, they leave you alone. I saw those comments in the reviews I read prior to going and I was hesitant after reading them but it really wasn't that bad. I think in some of those bad reviews, the people just aren't happy if they don't have something to *kitten* about. Never once got hit up for a time share in the week we were there. We stayed at the Riu Reggae and had an absolute blast. The entertainment team was amazing and we became good friends with a couple of them. It is close to the airport and people also *kitten* about the planes going overhead but I didn't find it to be that big of a gig either.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options

To do the whole thing, and summit all the big peaks... 154 days. Average 20 miles a day walking.

But the OP doesn't have to do the whole thing, i know not everyone can take a year off

June is a perfect time to take on a trail
  • branflakes1980
    Options

To do the whole thing, and summit all the big peaks... 154 days. Average 20 miles a day walking.

But the OP doesn't have to do the whole thing, i know not everyone can take a year off

June is a perfect time to take on a trail

Dude, this might be the coolest thing I have ever read. I didn't know things like this existed. I wish I was independently wealthy or had a really cool job that wouldn't care if I took this much time off. Retirement goals for sure though. Thanks for sharing.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Options
    Sorry to hijack:
    @branflakes1980
    Google Pacific Crest Trail.
    There's dozens of trails like this in the usa alone.

It's super addictive.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you want to really make it special, why don't come to Europe? It's really different from the US, each country (even area) has its own "personality" so you can choose or even mix and compare. If you are worried about transport, all of Western Europe has good public transport -of course, it 's better in and from bigger cities; I've been travelling in the continent for more than 20 years and I've never had to rent a car.
    Of course, this kind of travel is very different from a resort, it depends on what you like.
  • AmyC2288
    Options

There were floating flea markets (that's what they call them) once you tell them no, they leave you alone. I saw those comments in the reviews I read prior to going and I was hesitant after reading them but it really wasn't that bad. I think in some of those bad reviews, the people just aren't happy if they don't have something to *kitten* about. Never once got hit up for a time share in the week we were there. We stayed at the Riu Reggae and had an absolute blast. The entertainment team was amazing and we became good friends with a couple of them. It is close to the airport and people also *kitten* about the planes going overhead but I didn't find it to be that big of a gig either.

Awesome-This is super helpful! Thank you so much :smile:
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    Wouldn't it be cool if he travels with his friends and you travel with yours? Kinda like a reset button

I could see how this might be fun for some...however it would kind of defeat the purpose in our case. As I mentioned, we are treating this as a 2nd Honeymoon. The purpose is to have time for us to reconnect away from our crazy jobs and constant kids activities. :wink:
  • slaterwp7242
    slaterwp7242 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• slaterwp7242
    slaterwp7242 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jamaica is the one. We did a Sandals/Beaches resort they catered for everything and treated you like royalty. If your budget allows it then go for it 👍
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    June to me screams an Alaska trip. Now personally, I’d recommend a cruise because that is the most cost effective way to see a nice chunk of Alaska. Plus with the right cruise line, you can make it Glacier Bay to see the tide water glaciers with only adding minimal expense.

If a cruise is still out of the question, fly up to Anchorage and spend a few days in Denali. Drive up to Fairbanks and grab a land tour to the arctic circle and maybe Deadhorse. Head up and see the Arctic Ocean.

There is a million things you could do up there. The wonderful part is that an Alaskan adventure is yours and you can rarely plan it wrong (besides staying in the hotel room and doing nothing)