Help! Can’t “Go”...

Options
brittlb07
brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
This is super embarrassing but since starting this logging process and calorie deficit I CANNOT seem to have a BM. I normally don’t go more than three times per week anyways but now I am down to about once a week and it’s a struggle. Any advice? I thought with the extra water and healthier food I may go more often but not so much. Side note- this seems to stall my scale loss until I finally do go and then I finally see the scale move for the week 😞

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Whats your diet like? Have you tried increasing your fiber intake?
  • brittlb07
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

I’ve had more bananas and spinach, avocado, etc. I’m a vegetarian. Not sure if that matters?
  • brittlb07
    edited February 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Or, have you recently increased your fiber intake and then started having this problem? Sometimes people get constipated when they eat a lot more fiber than they're used to.

Yes if anything I’ve probably increased. Will still regulate itself or should I back down?
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options

Or, have you recently increased your fiber intake and then started having this problem? Sometimes people get constipated when they eat a lot more fiber than they're used to.

This too!
    brittlb07 wrote: »

I’ve had more bananas and spinach, avocado, etc. I’m a vegetarian. Not sure if that matters?

Did you recently change the way you are eating? For one extreme to another or or were you always a vegetarian?
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

This. I have found that whenever I increase fiber too quickly, it makes it more difficult for me to “go.” If you’re eating differently than you normally do, you might consider scaling back a bit and slowly adding fiber back in.

It sounds like this is a new problem for you, but as someone who regularly struggles in this area, I have found that drinking coffee or another hot beverage helps, as well as taking a daily probiotic (Align).
  • brittlb07
    Options

This too!

Did you recently change the way you are eating? For one extreme to another or or were you always a vegetarian?

I’ve been a vegetarian for 17 years! Since I was 13!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    What does mfp say your fiber intake is on average?
  • brittlb07
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

I just averaged the last two weeks and it was about 15 grams on a goal of 25. So looks like I am still “under” even though I’ve been eating more, sadly. I’m on a 1350 calorie diet.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

I just averaged the last two weeks and it was about 15 grams on a goal of 25. So looks like I am still “under” even though I’ve been eating more, sadly. I’m on a 1350 calorie diet.

It doesn’t matter for this purpose that you’re under your MFP goal. It just matters that you’re eating more fiber than you usually do. Cut back on the fiber for now and try increasing it gradually once you’re not constipated anymore.
  • pgbrown2449
    pgbrown2449 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add 1 -2 Tbs. of Carrington Farms Ground Flax & Chia Blend to some yogurt or a smoothie each day. It works wonders and provides Omega-3. https://tinyurl.com/yakcxnlb
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    senna tablets.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia, 30 mg.

This.
  • I would suggest to increase insoluble fiber as apposed to soluble fiber.
    I also found all the twisting positions in yoga helps things going.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My gastro advised me going for more bulky foods and in particular carrots or cabbage salads.

Macrogol is a medicine which adds volume (water molecules) to your waste in the intestines. Is it available over the counter where you live?