Cheat days! Are they really worth it?

Options
I've been seeing progress with my weight loss journey, but I have been craving a cheat day. Like were talking hardcore cheat day! I don't want to risk all the work that I have done so far for a burger and fries. I don't totally deprive myself. I have a pizza here, and some dark chocolate there, but it's all within my calorie count. It gets super disappointing when the scale starts to tip in the wrong direction all because of one bad eating day.

Question is. Are cheat days worth it?

Replies

• Terry_Firecrackers
    Options
    That's up to you to decide!

Always remember, if what you are doing isn't working for you, it's ok to make changes.
    Cheat days will slow your weight loss down, but if they help you avoid giving up completely, then maybe they are worth it.
    If every day is going to be a cheat day, then it's probably not worth it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    No. I don't particularly like the mentality of a cheat day. It make the whole being healthy thing sound temporary.

I totally believe that long-term sustainability is key to any health plan. So, if you are feeling bunt out on your current plan for health then maybe some time (2 weeks or more) of eating at maintenance and taking a break from your calorie deficit would be helpful. That should make it easier to fit in treats without it being some kind of massive event that you have to feel guilty about later. Good health is a journey, not a destination, it's never really "done" so taking a rest from time to time to gather strength is totally ok.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You can easily undo your deficit for the week with one big cheat day. Instead of a cheat day, consider having one day of eating at maintenance. This will reduce your overall deficit for the week but still keep you in a deficit. Don't cheat yourself, just find a method that is sustainable.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No. I don't particularly like the mentality of a cheat day. It make the whole being healthy thing sound temporary.

I totally believe that long-term sustainability is key to any health plan. So, if you are feeling bunt out on your current plan for health then maybe some time (2 weeks or more) of eating at maintenance and taking a break from your calorie deficit would be helpful. That should make it easier to fit in treats without it being some kind of massive event that you have to feel guilty about later. Good health is a journey, not a destination, it's never really "done" so taking a rest from time to time to gather strength is totally ok.

Thank you, this makes sense. :)
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    my monthly cheat day keeps me going and keeps me sane.
  • guil0095
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You can easily undo your deficit for the week with one big cheat day. Instead of a cheat day, consider having one day of eating at maintenance. This will reduce your overall deficit for the week but still keep you in a deficit. Don't cheat yourself, just find a method that is sustainable.

Thank you for this. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count a burger and fries as a cheat. I work it into my weekly calorie allowance and enjoy it. My scale will be a little higher the next day due to the sodium, but that's it.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Worth it or not depends on you and your personality. If you are an all or nothing person it may be hard for you to get back on track after that. If you're able to get right back on track, it may not be so bad. If you have a day that wipes out a whole week's deficit and you only do that once a month or so, then that wouldn't be so bad, especially if it helps you stay motivated for the long run. Being too strict for too long would probably make me give up. You have to weigh out the options and consequences and do what's best for you.
  • lildickybarrett
    lildickybarrett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Like the post above, your trying to make a calorie deficit every day with about 3500 to 7000 in a week to lose 1-2lbs of fat.

Some good weightloss coaches who know what they are talking about will recommend taking a cheat day/meal, but really you got to make a deficit for it on your other days or just put on the weight from you cheat day calories.

Can you get back on track after? If you feel you need a cheat day your probably not getting enough variety in your calories or trying to lose to fast and are getting hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    guil0095 wrote: »
    I've been seeing progress with my weight loss journey, but I have been craving a cheat day. Like were talking hardcore cheat day! I don't want to risk all the work that I have done so far for a burger and fries. I don't totally deprive myself. I have a pizza here, and some dark chocolate there, but it's all within my calorie count. It gets super disappointing when the scale starts to tip in the wrong direction all because of one bad eating day.

Question is. Are cheat days worth it?

One bad eating day isn't going to result in fat gain...the scale may tip up, but that's because you ate more and have more inherent waste in your system and likely had a saltier meal and probably more carbohydrates than normal. Any uptick in a singular day is water...all you have to do is do the math. You would have to consume 3500 calories over MAINTENANCE to gain a pound of fat...and even then, the body doesn't work quite that way in a singular day.

I also wouldn't consider having a burger and fries or a pizza here and there a "bad eating day"...you just ate something different than normal, and that's perfectly fine. Your diet doesn't have to be 100% nutritious food all of the time. What you're doing most of the time is what is going to matter for your weight management and overall health.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I like to set limits even on days that I fully intend to eat above my maintenance calories. That limit is usually 50 percent. So I eat up to my maintenance and a half.

I don't call it cheating because it is part of my plan. If I spend the majority of my time in a calorie deficit I don't concern myself with one off days, holidays, vacations, etc.

I won't reiterate what the others have explained as far as scale fluctuations and the numbers behind actually gaining weight but I hope you if there is anything you don't fully understand that you ask. It is important and freeing to understand these things.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    After 311 days on MFP I don't need cheat days any longer. I plan ahead, make a meal plan and include if there is something special I would like. I am not that good with portion control yet, so going out for a meal is usually not a good idea. But I just continue the next day to do my best.
  • guil0095
    Options
    I wouldn't count a burger and fries as a cheat. I work it into my weekly calorie allowance and enjoy it. My scale will be a little higher the next day due to the sodium, but that's it.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Yes, the sodium is what scares me the most. I'll take the day off the scale tomorrow, and try not to stress it too much. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    guil0095 wrote: »

Yes, the sodium is what scares me the most. I'll take the day off the scale tomorrow, and try not to stress it too much. :)

Why would sodium scare you? It's an essential nutrient.

Did you read the article I linked?

Sodium causes water weight. Water weight isn't fat gain. Nothing to be scared of.

But if staying off the scale helps you, go for it!