Toothbrush: manual vs electric

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
Currently I use an electric but was reading that manual can be just as good. I like my electric because it has a timer on it but sometimes I wonder if I am brushing too hard as the odd time my gums are sore and tender.

I was reading too that often electric can cause problems down the road because people tend too brush too hard, but not realizing it.

TIA

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Every dentist I've ever gone to has recommended electric.

Are you brushing your gums directly? You're just supposed to angle it slightly along the tooth and gum line. Do you floss?
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    how long have you had your electric? may be time for an upgrade if its been a while.

like i got one of those oral b pro models last year (i think the 5000) and its got a red indicator that lights up if you're using too much pressure.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i brush too hard regardless of whether manual or electric. I bought the elctric to see if i would stop brushing so hard. i think we just need to consciously stop going so hard perhaps... I dunno. I now have to pay attention and go gentle
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    My hygienist said electric is better than manual. I switched over a year ago but I have the sensitive gum one, it's very gentle.

Biggest difference is with a Waterpik though. That thing is amazing and has noticeably improved the health of my gums.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Electric. For Sure.

They are great.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Electric, you can get softer brush heads also.
  • kds10
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes mine has that pressure thing too where it stops. I heard a water pick was excellent...yes I floss too. I use soft piks as well. Maybe I will just get a softer brush for my oral b
  • kds10
    Options
    I love the 2 minute timer too!!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I use both, manual, then floss, then electric.

If your gums are sore frequently, I'd go to the dentist. You don't want to mess with your teeth and gum health.
    Any health, really!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Manual in the morning and during the day, soft pic, floss and electric before bed.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I was getting my teeth cleaned a few weeks ago, the tech told me that according to all the studies, electric do a better job than manual. You do have to be careful not to be too vigorous with the gumline, tho.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I used to use an electric but I don’t like any vibrations in my head. Now I use a manual, and yesterday I had my dental cleaning done, the hygienist commented on how well I’ve reached my gum line. All of them have told me manual is fine, as long as you have good brushing technique but that electric gets the job done easier, and stimulates the gums to rid bacteria better as well.

But before you throw away the tooth brush, consider which head you have, you should be brushing with adult soft. And also you gotta be gentle, that’s going to take some
    training but you don’t need to be rough to get them clean.
  • kds10
    Options
    Thanks all, I am going to stick with the electric plus I like the timer on it as it forces me to brush for 2 minutes. I have been using the soft picks and because of that have not used floss so I think I will use the soft picks during the day but go back to flossing at night. I read that flossing is still way better than the soft picks.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    Currently I use an electric but was reading that manual can be just as good. I like my electric because it has a timer on it but sometimes I wonder if I am brushing too hard as the odd time my gums are sore and tender.

I was reading too that often electric can cause problems down the road because people tend too brush too hard, but not realizing it.

TIA

Sonic toothbrushes are now the best and yes regardless of the toothbrush you use, you want to make sure to use soft bristles and replace them when they start to get stiffer.