More confident but more critical?

Options
I have lost a lot of weight. Nearly 100lbs. I currently wear between a size 0-2, a small or x-small in everything. I go into a store and can find something. I wear styles I once felt were impossible!

So of course I feel proud and confident in this new body but I also feel like I am far more self critical than I was when I was heavier somehow.

I think in the past I didn’t nitpick every minor flaw but now I find myself more fixated on things like a tummy pooch or bit of jiggle.

Logically I know it’s silly. It me at my heavy weight had seen pictures of me now I would have said “Wow goals amazing!” Not say that I still look a little chubby or that I have a long way to go.

It’s an off phenomenon and I’m curious if anyone else has feelings similar.
I’m interested in everyone’s opinions on their body image and weight loss. I find it very fascinating.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you 😊

852jqw6jbjv8.jpeg
q7oes46g97sh.jpeg

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You're a pretty girl and look so in both photos. But yes.. you look fit and amazing now compared to the "before" pictures.

I know what you mean though... It takes so much focus to pull off a weight loss journey.. I think becoming more self critical comes along with it. And really, becoming self accepting with the end result has to happen too.

Today, I look in the mirror dressed, and thought ..wow.. you've done it you look pulled together and not fat at all. then I look in mirror in my underwear ...and I pinch the bits of fat around my stomach and waist and I think I will continue to diet until it is gone. I actually grab it and compare it to pounds of butter. I have two sticks of butter to lose off my stomach. haha.. now that is silly!!!. But.. I'm going to do it. :)
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well your body has changed but you still have the same brain and patterns of self criticism aren't sucked away with weight loss. It's a very common phenomenon for people to look back on old photos of themselves and think "wow I looked amazing, why did I used to think I was ugly/ fat etc." I know I have been critical of my body at every weight from 97lb to 150lb because it's a brain problem not a body problem.

I think it's very sad when you see people pin all their happiness on being a certain weight or size. There is of course some satisfaction in achieving a goal you set yourself but you can't diet yourself happy.
  • recovering_bri
    recovering_bri Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Well your body has changed but you still have the same brain and patterns of self criticism aren't sucked away with weight loss. It's a very common phenomenon for people to look back on old photos of themselves and think "wow I looked amazing, why did I used to think I was ugly/ fat etc." I know I have been critical of my body at every weight from 97lb to 150lb because it's a brain problem not a body problem.

I think it's very sad when you see people pin all their happiness on being a certain weight or size. There is of course some satisfaction in achieving a goal you set yourself but you can't diet yourself happy.

Yes, this is exactly right! I used to think I was so huge but I was only 120 lbs and I was really toned. I look at pics now and I think omg why did I think I was fat then ! Because my mindset wasn't right. Now I've gained 20 lbs and I wish I was back there lol. It's a daily struggle but I know all I can do is eat better and workout and get myself comfortable with myself again. I think you look amazing! Add me if you want ❤️